Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewhappy2_gw

Remove Orange Glo from wood flooring?

sewhappy2
13 years ago

I have factory-finished Bruce wood flooring that has always looked beautiful by just cleaning with steam or a damp rag. My new cleaning lady took it upon herself to 'improve' the look with Orange Glo for wood floors. Now it is streaked and nasty. She and I have tried everything to remove this top finish and restore the floors to their original shine. So far, I've used ammonia, mineral spirits, vinegar, and all sorts of cleaning products. The one product that seems to be making some progress is, strangely enough, a 409 for Granite, but it still has a way to go.

Can anyone help with this?

Comments (33)

• lindac
    13 years ago

After a similar instance, I threw away all Orange Glo products...
    It was my furniture that got "polished"...and mineral spirits removed it for me.
    Linda C

• jannie
    13 years ago

Another no vote on Orange Glow. When I used it on my polyurethane-polished oak flooring, it looked like I had mopped the frloors with dirty water-all kinds of streaks. I ended up going over every inch with hpot water and paper towels.

• housefairy
    13 years ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably ruined the factory finish when you used mineral spirits. Probably what you are seeing is the smearing of the factory poly finish. If you have an extra piece, try cleaning it with mineral spirits and see if you get the same hazy effect. If so, you are going to have to talk to someone knowledgeable in flooring finishes. Or you might call/e-mail the manufacturer to find out what they recommend.

I hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

• linkay42
    13 years ago

I steamed it with my steamer several times..

• sewhappy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was told by the installers to use mineral spirits to remove any glue that had oozed out during installation (it is glued to concrete). So I don't think it should harm the finish. I didn't try the mineral spirits everywhere, just in a couple of the extra bad spots.

• andersons21
    13 years ago

Mineral spirits will not harm cured poly.

What is the exact name of the Orange Glo product that was used?

For example -- "Orange Glo Wood Polish and Conditioner" contains orange oil (an oil-based solvent) and basically mineral spirits. If such a product left streaks, it's because it partially dissolved oil-based dirt and grease on the floor, but then the dirt wasn't completely wiped off, or else not enough product was applied to dissolve all the dirt.

I have learned that streaks mean you're not done cleaning. We generally spray plenty of product, but do not wipe it off sufficiently with CLEAN cloths. A large floor area with oily dirt on it would require many clean, dry mop heads or cloths to remove all the oil dissolved by the cleaner.

And, citrus solvent is a powerful degreaser, but it can leave an oily residue. Mineral spirits evaporates and doesn't leave that residue. One of my favorite products, Trewax Citrus degreaser, contains a surfactant that gets rid of its own oily residue as you wipe or rinse it off. Goo Gone is just the citrus solvent and leaves the oily residue, so if I use Goo Gone to dissolve some grease or adhesive, I then have to wash with soap/detergent/surfactant to get rid of the Goo Gone residue.

On the positive side, once you remove all the streaks, your floor should REALLY be clean.

• sewhappy2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not exactly sure which Orange Glo product was used. This was something my cleaning lady had brought with her and when I asked, she only said 'Orange Glo'. I know she didn't do a good job of applying it - she missed some spots altogehter, and left streaks in other places. It is gradually getting better but still not back to the original even shine - and many of the streaks are still there so I know all of the OG is not removed.

• andersons21
    13 years ago

Seems odd. If it were my floor, I would first try spraying and wiping the Trewax Citrus product mentioned before, using microfiber cloths by hand and changing cloths frequently. I would test a streaky area first and see how it works.

If that doesn't do it, I would then progress to washing by hand with mild (neutral pH) detergent in hot water, rinsing with vinegar/hot water, and drying, using microfiber cloths by hand for each step.

Seems odd that either the polish (mineral spirits + orange oil) or the cleaner would leave such a mess, so it makes me wonder if anything silicone-based, like Pledge, had ever been used previously. Silicone is a pain to remove and leaves uneven streaks, but can look nice and shiny when there's a fresh, even coat.

• cathleen_ni_houlihan
    13 years ago

I'm probably too late for this thread, but I've actually had this experience. My horrible painters sprayed Orange Glo all over the living room floor of my vintage condo and left it an oily mess. I thought I would have a heart attack.

I went over it with a clean, dry Clorox ready mop (like a Swiffer). I was surprised to find that the mop head got filthy, as if decades of entrenched dirt was being brought to the surface. I just kept changing the mop head and buffing away. I don't remember how many times I repeated the procedure, but MANY, until the floor seemed clean and free of all residue. By the time I finished, the floor really looked great. I've been meaning to repeat the procedure on all my other wood floors, but never got around to it.

As andersons says, "On the positive side, once you remove all the streaks, your floor should REALLY be clean."

Sorry if you have extenuating circumstances due to the finish or other issues.

• Gary Binatero
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Sheila thanks for the information. I tried ammonia,windex and quick shine removal spray and nothing happen still have an orange glo residue (Hate this product). I will try Goof Off and hopefully my wood floor will go back to normal.

• martae
    7 years ago

I had the same problem. On my floor a film seemed to build up and whenever my grandkids removed their shoes and walked across with sweaty feet I had greasy looking foot prints all over the floor. I used 2 or 3 kinds of cleaners recommended for wood floors and with each new try it got worse. I was actually "building up" my problem. Finally I just filled a spray bottle with hot water (not boiling, just as hot as your tap will run) and used a clean mop to go over it. It took several times, but finally I'm back down to the original finish. I'd like to add here that the BONA I was given when the floor was installed was what started the problem. I wrote to them and got no reply. Frequent cleaning with clear water seems to do the trick. Good luck to all who have this problem.

• tanyaweaver87
    7 years ago

I tried the Goof Off and it worked immediately, after trying all the other suggestions I was ready to give up. Thanks so much for the help!

• holly olson
    5 years ago

I have 11 years of Orange Glow build up that has turned into a lacquer on my hardwood floors. The worst part is, if I don't keep using it, my floors look VERY murky. I wanted to sand it off but there's not enough veneer, because I have distressed grooves in the wood. Any suggestions?

• kim willard
    5 years ago

my floors look the same as holly olsons first picture! The only thing that has worked is scraping it with the edge of an old drivers license. Very tedious! I’ve tried goof off, windex, diluted ammonia and nothing works. Just elbow grease and it will come up in tiny flakes.

• samantharene11
    5 years ago

May I ask what type of Goof Off you guys got? I am trying to get the Orange Glo off my floors as well but there are several types of Goof Off. Im not sure which one to try. I am so excited that it worked for you guys because I do not want to have to pay to get my floors re done.

• holly olson
    5 years ago

Hey Kim and Samantha... I found a product at Lowe's that actually (somewhat) worked. Like I've said... I've tried many solvents (including Good Off) and "Miracle Heavy Duty Cleaner" (Acid Substitute) worked when I pored a generous amount on my bad spots and left for a few minutes. I was able to scrape (with a puddy knife) off 12 years of build up, easily. My problem is is that I have groves in my wood and 3,000 square feet to work on. I'm now on the hunt for a machine that can take off the build up and handle the groves.

• samantharene11
    5 years ago

You felt comfortable to use on hardwood floors? Just makes me nervous lol but I hate how my floors look!

• holly olson
    5 years ago

At this point NOTHING can make my floors look worse! I have 12 years of build up and all my scratches are in the hardened wax. I wish my floors could be sanded but I have a very thin veneer on them and because of the grooves, sanding won't work. Therefore, I have to use a solvent.

• holly olson
    5 years ago

I've found that Miracle Heavy Duty Cleaner works but I still don't know HOW to get it off... I only tested a small are and hand scrubbed it with a puddy knife but I obviously can't do that with my whole house. My next step it to rent an oscillating machine. I'll let you know.

• HU-251623858
    4 years ago

Hey Holly,

Any luck, same situation as you. I had COIT come out today and try to remove it. Not home yet but told it looks good in high traffic areas, but other areas like under a table still leave a grey residue. Too think for their machine to remove all of it. See photo, there is a small part where they added Orange Glow and it looks good. Plan on having them finish, will have to orange glo again but get cleaned yearly and hopefully it will remove over time. Would like to know if you found a solution.

• holly olson
    4 years ago

I have found NOTHING! Tried many cleaning solutions with scrubbing. The only way we're removing areas is by scraping with a putty knife. Your floor looks awesome! I HATE that we have to put Orange glow back on it it get that shine. I'm going to give Coit a call!! Thanks, wish I had better advice!

• HU-251623858
    4 years ago

Keep in touch!! It's all about the Hardwood Floor :)

• Megan Brancato
    4 years ago

I've been trying ammonia glass cleaner, vinegar, even pure lemon juice and I cannot see that it has done anything to strip the nasty orange glo off. I wish I had never used it. It was fine on our old floors that had no varnish and needed refinishing but has really ruined these floors. Next I will try the steaming hot/damp cloth with some granite cleaner. This is horrible. I hate myself for ruining the floors when we bought this house. :(

• longbeachartist
    4 years ago

I had the same problem using orange glow. The floors looked awesome and then over time dulled and looked so very dirty and it wouldn't just mop off. I used Totally Awesome all purpose concentrated cleaner degreaser... available at the dollar store! Omg. I just poured/sprayed some on a section at a time and then let it sit for a few minutes...about five...and the very dirty looking goo wiped off. Thank goodness, as these are not old floors. It really worked. We honestly thought we were going to have to get the floors refinished. It's a yellow liquid with red lettering.

• Emily Mcleod
    3 years ago

I accidentally spilled a bottle of nail polish on my hardwood floor I removed it with acetone and it took off the orange glow too
    Afraid of washing my entire floor with acetone though

• HU-808458161
    3 years ago

If your hardwood floor's original finish/sealer is an oil based polyurethane. Polyurethane is used to seal gym floors. Heavy wax buildup can be easily removed using Trewax Concentrate Instant Wax Remover. It is not sold in stores and must be purchased online. It is not made for use on wood floors, but it was the only thing I could find that said, "wax remover". I only tried it because I was told by a professional that it would not damage my original polyurethane finish. I was told that it takes a much stronger stripper like lacquer thinner to effect the polyurethane. I mixed 1/2 remover with 1/2 water and let sit for 3 to 5 min. then rinsed with a wet cloth. The orange glo wax buildup was gone. Some areas required a light scrubbing. I have a very large kitchen and I thought to speed up the process, I could mix with a little less water, so I mixed it a little stronger and I was amazed at how well it removed several years of old wax. Not once did it do anything to my original finish. I highly recommend this product,. It is the only thing that has worked for me. I have used everything under the sun over the last 2 years trying to remove the orange glo wax. . Trewax Concentrate Instant Wax Remover comes in a gallon and is only $18.99.

• Audrey Mercer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks for all the information! I have literally been scraping by hand. My entire body has been worked! I am going to try a couple of these suggestions, hopefully it wI’ll save my neck/back as well as time!

• D R
    2 years ago

My kitchen floors were just like Audrey's pics. I tried everything for a year and was just about to give up when I found the solution:

Spray Windex heavily and cover with Glad Press and Seal wrap, let sit for 15 minutes to several hours depending on how thick the Orange Glo film is. After a while, lift the wrap and scrub with a 3M scrub sponge (the blue one) in circles to lift the surface film, rinse with clean warm water (I kept a bucket and cloth by my side), spray some more windex and repeat if needed. With this method, a gentle scrubbing is all it takes.

I worked small sections over time, and my floor looks great again except for a few spots I did before I found this method. (I had over scrubbed with a power tool previously.) Test this method in a small inconspicuos spot and fire your cleaning lady, like I did.

• Ladiebug Chikon
    2 years ago

Anyone try WD-40? Oil cuts oil.

• Karen Negrete
    last year

I have about 4-5 layers of Orange Glo on my hardwood floor and have had amazing results with Totally Awesome. I spray it on full strength and let it sit for a while. I have hand scraped floors and so the orange glo tends to kind of clump up in the recesses so it takes a little elbow grease and a rag but otherwise I can just use a mop to get it off.

• holly olson
    last year

Thanks Karen!! I'm ordering it right now. I have 15 years of it now🤦🏼‍♀️

• Karen Negrete
    last year

I feel your pain, Holly. Let me know how it works for you!! It does leave a slight residue that comes off pretty easy. Happy cleaning and finally getting that sh*t off your floor.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone