Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
steam clean carpet w/ natural cleaner?

Posted by nyrgirl35 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 9:29

I have the hoover steam vac for my carpets. I use to use the shampoo that comes with it but with my kids I dont want use the shampoo anymore because of possible harmful chemicals. Esp since I have an infant crawling around. Has anyone used vinegar in the hoover and if so how much? and did it work well? Any other suggestions besides vinegar? I do boil the water on the stove first so its steaming water that I use. My rugs arent that bad it's more for just freshening them up. Also I have two area rugs from Lowes they look fine but over the years have become very very flat and not fluffy and plush anymore. Anyway I can get them back that way? Obviously I know they arent the best quality rugs, just wondering if there is anything I can do or is that it because of the quality. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: steam clean carpet w/ natural cleaner?

I use just vinegar and water and it seems fine although my carpets aren't real dirty. I wouldn't use any chemicals either.

o

I have the same machine and use plain old white vinegar each time. Just fill the "shampoo" tank with straight vinegar as you would shampoo. I was told and have noticed that the carpet stays cleaner longer since I stopped useing shampoo.

o

I've used natural, orange based cleaners like TKO to freshen the carpets. A bonus is that the house smells wonderful after.

...Pam

o

What if your area rug made of wool is dirty? Will the vinegar clean it?

o

The good form of carpet cleaning is always prevention. Taking proper care and maintaining your carpet clean will save you money from having to buy expensive cleaning products. Never rub rashly and carelessly at a carpet stain, this may only cause it to smear and become permanent. Also, doing this will weaken the fiber causing your carpet to wear out quicker.

o

SharperClean is right about prevention being the best alternative. Do you vacuum at least weekly? Lay down matts by doors to catch drips,dust,leaves,etc. Shake the matts outdoors weekly. Then you won't have to clean so often. I applaud you for not using chemicals around children.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here