Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silhouette Shades-how to clean?

Posted by kitka (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 8:15

Anyone have any ideas how to clean silhouette shades? I bought a home that has 3 of them and they have tiny bugs, etc that get caught inside the pockets (panes). I was told you lightly vacuum them, but I would need an awfully small attachment to get inside each pocket and the shade material is SO fragile it will fray/rip..I am ready to tear all these down and get rid of them because the previous owner never cleaned them. THanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silhouette Shades-how to clean?

You should be able to insert a couple inches of the crevice tool into the pockets. The shade material isn't as fragile as it appears.

o

Have you tried blowing them out? My vacuum hose can be reversed to blow out.

o

Finding it impossible to remove my silhouette blinds to clean them. I guess there is a tool (thin card) that you need to open the clip that holds them on. Any help. Going crazy. Actually tried using soap and water on them while they are still attached. These are the instructions on the web to remove the blinds. I can't get them off. I do not have the tool and tried using a credit card but it wasn't strong enough." Raise the shading all the way into the
headrail. While holding the headrail, use the quick
release card that came with your order
to release the locking tab on the mounting
brackets. While the locking tab is released, slide the
headrail slightly out from the brackets.Once all locking tabs are released, remove he shading from the brackets.
Lift locking tab to release the headrail.Insert card
between the headrai". Any help would be appreciated.

o

GMS31 - Do you have some other brand of Silhouette-like blinds? The HD Silhouettes don't utilize that tool.

Contact the company that made the blinds and ask them to send you the quick release card.

o

I have the Hunter-Douglas Silhouettes and they did come with a release tool. Of course I lost it. They say a CC will work, but a thin spatula or chisel tool will do the job too.

I would imagine that going to the store where they were purchased you can ask for a release tool. I'm sure many, many people lose theirs and need another one and they may keep a few on hand. They can't cost that much to hand out. It's just a plastic card type device.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here