Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen4t25

Cleaning floors..dirty feet

jen4t25
13 years ago

I'm so sick of having dirty feet at the end of the day! I'm in a small 3 bedroom apartment. All the floors are hardwood except the bathroom & kitchen are tile. I have a 1 year old so I want the floors to be spotless! I have a swiffer spray mop & use it pretty much every other day. I vacuum every single day (sometimes up to 3x a day) because I have a shedding dog. Other than my 1y/o & 2 dogs it's me & my husband...we don't wear shoes around the house except if it's because we forgot something in the other room after we put them on to leave.

I just can't have clean floors! I think it's the tile floors in the kitchen because my feet are dirtier than my husband's at the end of the day but his are still dirty. I'm so sick of it! It's disgusting! When using the Swiffer spray mop I have to change it a few times because it gets dirty somewhat fast.

What do I do? How do I get clean floors? Is the Swiffer mop not good? This is all I've ever used here. I like the idea of having new clean pads each time but if the floors aren't clean then it's pointless.

Any tips &/or products would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (46)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I get up before everyone else in my house. I sweep the floors (linoleum and wood plank flooting) THEN go over them all with the Swiffer WetJet. Takes me about 15 minutes. And I use a new Swiffer pad every day. I don't like the idea of rubbing dirt around.

• westvillager
    13 years ago

Maybe consider preventative measures like doormats inside and out any exits, clean any venting, check window screens, etc. No shoes is the best rule, which you already do.

Those kind of things have helped me some, but I'm in a constant state of search for the perfect mop. I've been using one from Leifheit for bout 6 months that's working well. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Swiffer, though it is more convenient. The kitchen is our busiest room in the city so I sweep it right before bed and vacuum the wood flooring almost as often -- thanks to our Jack Russell.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

When you say your feet are dirty at the end of the day, it implies you are walking around barefoot. Perspiration from your feet might be what's causing them to appear dirty. You might try wearing white socks in the house for a day and see what they look like at the end of the day.
    But you also might want to take a deep breath, relax, realize that you are keeping a clean house, and remember that dirt is part of life and subjecting a healthy child to normal amounts of everyday stuff isn't going to hurt. Look up the term "hygiene hypothesis."

What type of tile do you have in the kitchen - ceramic tile, vinyl tile, linoleum tile?

• jen4t25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jannie: this is what I basically do except it's after the baby has her bottle (she's my alarm clock). When she's in her play yard I use the stick vacuum to get the entire house (depending on how early bc I have people below me & they'll hear the wheels...then I'll just do the living room). I use a new pad all the time too...at least 2 to do the entire house.

Wesrvillager: I'm thinking of getting a regular mop & really get down & dirty on these floors using some hardcore chemicals! My living room is busiest. I'm thinking I'll try a real mop.

Graywings: yes I'm barefoot this summer, in winter I'm wearing socks...I'll have to pay attention better. I'm real anal now because the past couple months my baby is all over the floor. I have brand new white socks so I'll see what happens. I know that dirt is a part od life & I am very clean it just drives me nuts because I'm always cleaning them! What am I wasting my time for, hehe! The kitchen floors are ceramic tile. I think this is where the filth is! I'll use the swiffer 3 times in a row using a clean pad each time & not be able to get a clean-ish pad when I'm done!

Any good cleaning supplies you can recommend for ceramic tile & hardwood floors?

• graywings123
    13 years ago

For a ceramic tile floor, I like a steam cleaner. You have to vacuum or at least sweep first, but then steam, not chemicals or detergents, cleans your floor, leaving no residue (which might be the cause of your dirty feet).

Here is a link that might be useful: Wagner steam cleaner

• jen4t25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd love a steam cleaner! When I get a house in the next year (hopefully) I WILL have 1 of those! My kitchen & bathroom are so small & I really can't spend the $$ on one at the moment.....but you think that would really help on the ceramic? That would get into the crevices? Maybe it'll be an early bday/Xmas gift. If they could be used on wood I would already have one....that Shark infomercial almost gets me every time!

• livebetter
    13 years ago

It's my opinion that those Swiffer mops leave residue. If you are using it daily it wouldn't surprise me that you have dirty feet. I used it once and hated the way the floor felt after.

I personally think those things push dirt around too (even if you use a fresh pad everyday) - do those things biodegrade??

I would try something with a cleanable pad (ie. Bona Mop - http://www.mybonahome.com/funmop/). I use this for quick clean ups on hardwood, tile and laminate.

You still need to do a periodic, deeper clean with a mop and bucket (IMO). I use Shaklee Basic H2 which leaves no residue at all (leaves my floors streak free). I sometimes add Tee Tree oil for disinfecting (I like the smell too).

I use the Casabella Magnet Mop - it has a microfiber layer over the sponge and I find it cleans beautifully (I've tried MANY mops). It seems to get into the grout area too.

I've used steam too and it does clean them with absolutely no residue. I just find it more work to get out the steamer and get it all set up (that's just me).

Here is a link that might be useful: Casabella Magnet Mop

• westvillager
    13 years ago

Since a mop is my bane (and the housekeeper's) I have to agree totally with livebetter. The Swiffer one left residue but the Casabella mop is a good one too. Must be the microfiber.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

I was given one of those Swiffer things and hated the residue that it left. Residue will attract and hold dirt IMHO.

When I have to do deep cleaning I fill a squirt bottle with water and cleaning solution, and then squirt it on the floor. Then use the mop to scrub the area. THEN, I have a bucket of clear water and rinse the area I just scrubbed. I go insections. Sometimes I have to change the bucket of clear water if it looks too dirty to rinse the mop clean.

No, or very little, residue is left.

This system beats pouring the cleaning solution into a bucket and then swishing it around the whole room. (My mother's method.)

For quick daily maintenance I just dampen a towel and attach it to my Swiffer duster. Or I use those disposable, blue, paper shop towels.

• jen4t25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah so maybe the swiffer is attracting dirt...it's all I've ever used on my floors so that's probably why my feet are dirty. My mom always says how she doesn't mop very often & when she does she uses a regular mop....my feet are never dirty at her house & I mop a heck of a lot more than she does! It's gotta be the swiffer!
    Livebetter: thanks for the recommended products..I'll check them out!

I like the spray bottle & put only regular water in the bucket idea. Before having the Swiffer I used to fill the bucket with water & soap.

I need to get everyone out of the house for a few hours, deep deep clean all the floors maybe on my hands & knees and get all new cleaning stuff (mops & solutions). Start new!

This is such a great forum! I've used this forum years ago a few times for the sewing section...I've never been in the cleaning section!

Thanks!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I don't believe you need a whole new set of cleaning supplies and products. Believe it or not, a vinegar and water solution will work just as well as cleaners sold in stores. It's cheap, it's natural, and you won't have to rinse the floor.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Don't get me wrong ... I do use vinegar for some things. I use it as a rinse in the laundry for some items, I use it to clean my fish bowl, etc ...

IMO vinegar is not a great "all purpose" cleaner.

Low pH cleaners (acidic, like vinegar) can dissolve hard water and mineral deposits, but canÂt tackle dirt and grime. Many people have heard "use vinegar" so they do but they donÂt really understand the chemistry behind cleaning.

Cleaning/laundry are really a lesson in chemistry. What will remove certain dirt/stains and suspend them in water so they can be removed completely. ItÂs really quite fascinating (to me anyway):)

High pH cleaners (more alkaline, like harsher soaps) are good at dissolving dirt and grime. Warning: these will also eventually dull the finish of some floors (ie. hardwood).

I like to use a neutral PH cleaner for all my floors. ThatÂs why I choose the Shaklee Basic H2. I have tried MANY cleaners for my tile floors (even vinegar at one time). They all left streaks. Basic H2 dries my floor with no streaks. I donÂt rinse or dry it.

I could use the Basic H2 solution in the Bona mop if I want (it is refillable). So far IÂve been happy with the Bona solutions for hardwood/tile&laminate as they are also PH neutral. I use the Basic H2 with mop and bucket for deeper cleaning and the Bona for quick clean ups.

When you do your deep clean and start "new"  rinse  rinse  rinse. Make sure you rinse with plain water several times and remove the residue and dirt that have probably built up.

The other bonus of these products is they are all non-toxic and certified "Green Guard" safe. Perfect for little ones crawling around. You donÂt have to worry about what chemicals they might be getting in and on themselves :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaklee Basic H2

• dollfanz
    13 years ago

If you have tile floors and the grout is dirty, everytime you get it wet, like after you mop the floors, you are spreading the dirt around and picking it up on your feet.

There is a professional strength grout cleaner sold at HD (used with a grout brush) that will completely get it out. Then seal it. After that, you might want to invest in a Hoover floormate. It also has a grout attachment to keep it clean.
    It scrubs then vaccumes the water up.

• swhite10
    13 years ago

Read the side of the Swiffer bottle---it says that the chemicals in it can be harmful to your pets. I quit using it after I saw that and got a Shark Steam Mop. I love that thing! Best money I ever spent. Vacuum prior to steam mopping. It cleans and sanitizes. No sticky residue and no pushing dirt around. The steam mop can be used on tile and hardwood. The pads are supposed to be washed and dried without fabric softener, so keep that in mind.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I just read this press release and thought it was great news. Bona cleaner is GREENGUARD Certified (non-toxic, biodegradable ...). I didn't realize they had partnered with Healthy Child Healthy World ... awesome ...

"Bona Partners With Healthy Child Healthy World
    Aurora, Colorado  August 3, 2010 - Bona US, the world leader in hardwood floor cleaning and care since 1919, is pleased to announce that they have become a Trusted Partner of Healthy Child Healthy World, the nationÂs leading nonprofit inspiring parents to protect children from harmful chemicals. This partnership signifies a mutual commitment in increasing awareness on indoor air quality and reducing childrenÂs exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs), toxic chemicals and other pollutants emitted by household products. As part of the collaboration, Bona and Healthy Child will encourage consumers and parents to choose only third-party certified products for their children and homes.

"Indoor air quality is a major concern, particularly for homes with children, as infants take in two to five times more dust than adults, despite their smaller size. TodayÂs consumers are insisting on environmentally healthy products for their homes," said Chad Nordhagen, Director of Marketing. "Partnering with Healthy Child Healthy World will help us spread the message about the importance of indoor air quality and the health of families as BonaÂs floor care solutions are pH-neutral, biodegradable, non-toxic and GREENGUARD certified."

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona partners with Healthy Child Healthy World

• jen4t25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome! I'll have to go with bona for sure then! Tomorrow I'm going to the store to get stuff because Tuesday I'm bringing the baby to my parents & the dogs to the groomers...I will have the house to myself!

Tomorrow I'm going to bed bath & beyond for the bona mop & hardwood cleaner.
    I already have a hand scrub brush to get the ceramic tiles in the kitchen & bathroom.
    I'm also getting a regular mop w/ bucket to use in the kitchen/bathroom tile for regular use.

I'm gonna get rid of the swiffer!

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Good for you jen4t25! It's Tuesday and I'm wondering if you're hard at work ;)

Let us know how it goes!

Good luck!

• jen4t25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't make it to Bed Bath & Beyond for the Bona mop YET! but I did get a Libman mop since that's what stop & shop had & it wasn't expensive (& so I can still maybe get the Casabella magnet mop another time).
    I did buy Greenworks multi-surface cleaner so I don't get a residue... I really think it was the residue that was attracting the dirt bc my floors are so shiny now! I never thought of that being the cause. After I cleaned I thought they were still wet, ha! I mixed the Greenworks into a spray bottle with water & had the bucket with just clean water...that was a great idea because you can change the water a ton of times & not waste the soap!

In the kitchen/bathroom tiles I got on my hands & knees with a scrub brush, a terry cloth, bucket of water & spray bottle of Clorox bleach spray & scrubbed/rinsed a section at a time. After the entire room was done I then went back over it with the mop & Greenworks cleaner.
    Today I put on a brand new pair of white socks & will be testing my floors! I will be home relaxing all day! I literally cleaned for 9 hours straight & have a spotless house!
    Yesterday at the laundromat a flyer on the wall caught my eye....someone was selling Shaklee products (household cleaning products was one of the items) & left their phone number to call. I may check it out.
    I like the Greenworks stuff I got but I may get that tee tree oil to add to it. I like to disinfect my floors too. I never heard of that before.

Thank you all so much! I got so much great info & tips from you guys & used a little from each of you yesterday while I was cleaning! I'll update later after my "white sock test"!

• jen4t25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My floors PASSED the "white sock test"!! They're pretty much just as white as they were this morning! I'm so happy that all my hard work paid off!

Thank you all so much :D

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Yeah!! I just knew it was the Swiffer ... happy for you :)

If you get a chance, try the Shaklee Basic H2 - it's good stuff.

I also have 3 spray bottles for it (I just love the graphics on them) and I mix 3 different cleaning products from the one (window/glass, all-purpose and degreasing). I add tea tree and sometimes eucalyptus or lavender too to my all purpose spray ... smells wonderful and no chemicals!

It saves buying lots of different products and you know it's no residue, non toxic and you can create your own scents.

I haven't tried the Greenworks so I don't know how it stacks up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic H2 spray bottles

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

I have to wear shoes in the house. Don't want to and didn't for the first 25 years we lived here but now I'm paying for it :o I love LOVE L-O-V-E my Bissell Steam Mop! It makes my (matte and lightly textured) porcelain tile and my travertine tile feel so incredibly clean, smooth and irresistible that I HAVE to take off my shoes and walk around barefooted for awhile :)) No cleaners/chemicals, just fresh water and you CAN tell a difference! I highly recommend one when you can afford it :)
    Monica

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I stumbled on this video on Youtube that shows the Swiffer against the Bona. Thought some might find it interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiffer vs Bona

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

"I mixed the Greenworks into a spray bottle with water & had the bucket with just clean water...that was a great idea because you can change the water a ton of times & not waste the soap!"

Thanks. Not only does it get the floors cleaner but it does save $$$ on detergent. I'm frugal.

I didn't mention using the Hoover Floormate. I invested in one a while back, but I really use it more as a rinse aid. It cleans the floor like advertised, but not as well as I like. Now what I do is, I squirt the cleaning solution onto the floor and scrub, scrub, scrub with a mop. Then I use the Floormate to rinse and pick up. The Floormate is pricey but you may want to consider getting one. Read the online reviews.

• jen4t25
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Livebetter I'm going to check out that video when I get on a computer, for some reason it's saying the movie format isn't supported by my iPad. I can't wait to see it!

Dilly_dally thank you so much for that idea! It's 100x better than putting the soap in the bucket! I like to change the water a lot & I don't mind doing it a lot more when it's just regular water...you get cleaner floors that way :)

• jannie
    13 years ago

Don't bother with a Hoover Floormate. I bought one online (used,refurbished) For $175 . It worked the first time or two, then quit working. Nobody services them, Hoover no longer makes them, and it's not easy to find the cleaning solutiuon. Again, Hoover no longer makes. I wasted $175.

• lucky51
    13 years ago

Yes but you got a GREAT DEAL on it right!!!? Price is the consumers primary concern. How it works, repairability, usefulness of it's warranty etc., all that a qualified sales person could have told you about were of little importance in your purchase.

• cleanfreak_2010
    13 years ago

9 hours cleaning floors?? That makes me want to cry.

You should get a good quality microfiber mop with at least 3 or 4 pads. You can use them dry to pick up dust, fine dirt and hair. Then vacuum off the crud and soak them in water, wring out very well, and then mop the floors - no cleaners needed. It's quick, easy, the floors dry very fast, and boy are they clean when you're done! The mop head even swivels so you can get into all sorts of tight spaces and under furniture easily. Then the pads can be laundered (no bleach or fabric softener) and reused several hundred times before they need replacing. I spent about $27 dollars on my commercial quality 18" aluminum MF mop with 3 pads including shipping. I also have a Haan steam mop, and a Hoover Floormate, and to be honest, I love the MF mop best! No hassle, no mess, no cord, no chemicals, low cost and IMO does the best job. I have both tile and hardwood floors throughout my home. I can get my 1700 sq feet done in no more than an hour, if that.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

I have a steam floor cleaner and I end up using my Hoover Floormate more often. It removes the dirty water, instead of spreading it around. That's what I use for serious cleaning. For quickie cleaning, I throw a damp microfiber cloth on the floor, set my mop on it and swish it around, then toss it in the wash. Or, I use my Clorox mop and actually attach the microfiber cloth.

Warning: I did ruin the finish on my wood floor in my last house with a steam cleaner. I'm very reluctant to use one on wood again.

• barefootbob_barefooted_com
    13 years ago

When you always walk Barefoot before you go to bed as you guys do and I also do, it's natural to go to bed with your Feet dirty. I always go to bed with my Barefeet dirty because I am always Barefoot, including outdoors. Most people I know go to bed with dirty feet and think it's no big deal.

• jannie
    13 years ago

My sister works as a chambermaid in a local motel. They sure clean a room fast, don't they? She told me one of their "secrets" is they take a Swiffer dustmop and safety-pin a damp towel over it, use that for cleaning tile bathroom floors. You could add a little disinfectant or soap or detergent to the water. I like tea tree oil, which I keep in my medicine chest and use as an all-round disinfectant. Also dab it on my cuticles as a moisturizer. Love the smell.

• msi9670
    13 years ago

A good quality Vapor stam cleaner (always Vacuum first) works great and no chemicals..Less VOC's in your home..

• msi9670
    13 years ago

Sorry, that is vapor steam cleaner above post.

• leng73
    12 years ago

I used to clean my floors with swiffer jet mop but the cost of the pads and solution added up, also I did not like the residue it left behind. I purchased rubbermaid and I love love it, you don't have to buy refill pads because the pads are washable and I just use water and a few drops of peppermint for the solution. My feet are always clean by the end of the day(that's how I know whether I need to remop my floors) i vacuum once every morning and mop right after, haven't had any problems with dirty floors. I always make sure my floors are clean since I have a 1 year old running around =)

• Cathleen Zuabi
    8 years ago

Swiffer is nothing but chemicals that are not good for your child or your dog and it leaves a residue that is attracting dirt. I go over my floors every other day with a mop. the brand I use is called Wonder Mop by Libman that I have used for well over 20 years, it is microfiber and you can remove the mop part and wash it in the washing machine. Every few days I go over all of the floors(I have tile and hardwood) with just plain hot water and then once a week I use a pine cleaner in hot water. I also use a microfiber dust mop(sprayed with a little furniture polish to attract the dirt) daily and I still have the same problem with getting dirty feet with all that I do, socks or no socks. With kids and a dog and a cat I have found it impossible to not have this happen. I also have a steam cleaner that I used once a week and it made absolutely no difference, so I no longer use it. Also this time of year(spring and summer) with having the windows open my floors get especially dirty from the pollen and dust that blow in.

• PRO
    Obrien Rentals
    7 years ago

My daughter has the same problem. She has vinyl flooring at her photo studio and she can't stop getting her socks turn black. She is at the point that she is going to install wood laminate.

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

Walking barefoot on the floor is part of the problem. Body oils are very hard to get off of, well, anything.

You might try using a Magic Eraser mop. Here is a picture of my office floor with one square cleaned with a Magic Eraser and clean water.

There is a secret to making this work. The secret is to use almost no pressure on the sponge. This floor was dirty to begin with and then we had a big plastics fire about 50 feet away, so the floor was dirty and sooty. My professional fire cleaners used their "chemicals," which are a stronger version of 409, and not getting anywhere. I tried the Magic Eraser and got what you see in about 2 minutes. Again, the secret is to not use any pressure on the Magic Eraser. Soak the Magic Eraser in water, wipe it softly around and around on the floor using only the weight of the soaking wet sponge as your pressure, rinse the sponge and repeat, rinse again and repeat. That picture shows how clean it got after three passes. After the second pass you'll see muddy brown water on the floor. The 3rd pass is basically to soak up that water. It doesn't show it in the picture, but after mopping the entire floor, the grout came clean, too. The picture also shows that the eraser sponge was undamaged at the end. After I showed them how, my fire cleaners bought a Magic Eraser mop and cleaned the rest of the 400 square feet of flooring in about an hour. The water in the bucket gets gross pretty fast, so keep dumping and refilling the bucket.

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

dchall, that looks great but that's not a "mop". That's a "on your hands and knees" job, right? I don't recall ever seeing a Mr Clean Magic Eraser that is "mop" size. Would be nice!

• H B
    7 years ago

Does the magic eraser mop have the same abrasives in it that the regular magic erasers do? Just wondering, because it sounds amazing!

• suzannesovine
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have 2 large indooe dogs a husband that's a mechanic and live in rainy Oregon. My floors get wiped out daily. I use a new product callex My Foot Mop it will clean up those messes quickly sprtiz some cleaner toss & swipe it away with ur foot dual sided microfiber washable inexpensive you'll find them at www.easyfloorcleaning.com

• User
    7 years ago

Jen, have you considered microfiber mop head with a handle you can screw them into/out of? I have two running for each story- one sweeps (and catches) dog hair daily, the other is for mopping.

On my wood, I don't use anything but a damp mop. On the polished concrete downstairs, I use Zep Neutral Floor Cleaner- recommended by our concrete finisher as something that won't eat through the finish. Tile floors in the baths? I use a natural, clear dishwashing liquid- just a few drops in hot water. Cleans, cuts all grease/grime from our feet and rinses clean.

Once a month, I get on my hands and knees and deep clean. But microfiber is a huge key for me. BONUS- the mop heads can be thrown in the washer, dry overnight and are ready to go the next day.

• PRO
    Fresh 'n Dri Carpet & Tile Cleaning
    7 years ago

Routine Tile Cleaning

There are basic maintenance procedures that should be done regularly in order to keep your tile looking new and in good shape. Here are a few low-maintenance tips that will add years to your tile:

• Always wipe up spills immediately to avoid possible stains and damage to the grout.
    • Sweep your tile at least once a week. Remove all dirt and grime that is clearly visible.
    • Damp-mop your flooring about once a week to reduce wear and abrasion from soil and grit.
    • Place rubber tips on all furniture that comes in contact with the flooring to prevent scratches.
    • If using a cleaner to mop your tiles, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Abrasive cleaners can damage the tile and break down sealants. To be on the safe side, test an inconspicuous part of the tile with your cleaner. You can also dilute the solution with warm water. Mild cleaners such as dish detergent are not recommended for a mopping solution, they typically develop a dull film.

Tile and Grout Cleaning

In order to remove any surface build-up, tile and grout cleaning needs to be done regularly. Routine grout cleaning can be done with a commercial cleaner. Just make sure that you use the proper cleaner for your tile.

In addition, sometimes heavy cleaning is needed in order to remove soap build-up, grease, mildew stains and other substances that can damage the grout and tile. For heavy cleaning, use professional strength tile and grout cleaner.

Sealing the Grout

Grout should always be sealed after the initial installation of your tile. The importance of grout sealing is crucial. It can help:

• Prevent permanent stains
    • Impede mold and mildew growth
    • Stop grout erosion due to moisture

Additionally, it is recommended that you have your commercial tile cleaned professionally when there is obvious heavy dirt and grime built-up. A professional cleaning will restore the luster of the tile. After the tile is deep cleaned, another application of grout sealant is needed. Also, grout can become permanently stained and discolored. If this happens, you’ll need to have the grout recolored as well as resealed.

Good luck!

Justin

www.freshndri.com

• H B
    7 years ago

Thank you Justin, that is great info!

Could you recommend a specific grout colorant (for painting on after the fact?). We had an unexpected situation (in hindsight we think over wiping the grout pulled some of the original colorant out, leaving us with much lighter grout than when we made samples) and it would be great to fix that. Thank you.

• Billy Lowe
    4 years ago

HI JANINE, I EMPATHIZE W/ YOU. (Im so sorry about the all caps,,,, and this 9 year old response but better late than never .

I 'VE BEEN IN HEALTH/BEAUTY FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS AND I'm a frequent guest on a number of daytime talk shows/news segments, etc so I thought I'd chime in, I've also owned salons in Los Angeles so I'm such a fussy person about floors. And yes, Even WITH SOCKS ON your feet the underneaths can still pick up a collection of dirt, dust, congestion, etc. Plus they are lint and dirt magnets.

KEEP IN MIND: JUST AS OILS ON YOUR SKIN DARKEN MAKEUP RESULTS, THE SAME IS TRUE FOR BOTTOMS OF FEET. It doesnt' sound like sanitation or hygiene at all to me on your part,,,,

I WOULD PROBABLY REQUEST A BUILDING MAINTENANCE CHECK FOR ISSUES LIKE MOLD, DUST MITES, CRACKS, WINDOWS/DOORS THAT DON'T CLOSE ALL THE WAY OR SEAL. Also make sure "floor meets wall" elements aren't gaping. Those tiny cracks can make a fresh floor look littered and murky in such a short time.

Good luck - and here's to all the footprints out there. And fingerprints. Stay on top of your building maintenance, management and staff if you rent . Their job is NOT to sliip,,, their job is to provide proper facilities.

In health and beauty

BILLY

• skuester
    3 years ago

I know from experience and suspect in this case that people confuse wood "look" flooring (i.e. vinyl, laminate, etc.) with "hardwood." My guess is that in an apartment, actual hard wood or even engineered wood flooring is not used, but rather a vinyl or laminate product that looks like wood, however I may be wrong. I've lived in homes with tile, laminate, engineered wood and two of my daughter's apartments had wood look vinyl installed in the common living and kitchen area. Although the tile, engineered wood and laminate all required vacuuming/dusting and mopping (dry or otherwise), they never left our feet or socks black on a regular basis, unless the floors were exceptionally dusty or dirty. However, both my daughter's apartments wood look vinyl floors leave our feet black, which transfers to the carpeted bedrooms and area rugs. I personally cleaned and scrubbed the floors - on hands and knees - to be sure they were being cleaned thoroughly (thinking maybe excessive build up of product or complete lack of cleaning by previous tenants) caused the "filthy" bottoms of feet, socks, soles, etc. Didn't matter. Contacted the apartment manager of the first apt and she said it was just the floors as they clean thoroughly prior to new tenants, and this has been a common problem. Currently husband wants to install wood look vinyl in much of our current home due to large dogs, cats, and four children, friends and heavy foot traffic on a regular basis. I say no way, vinyl is the worst when it comes to a mysterious residue which will track to any carpet or area rugs. After much searching, I had a hard time finding what was causing this phenomenon. Husband says must be a "cheap/low-end" vinyl, I say all vinyl. I did come across a couple of similar complaints but not finding much info out there.