Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please - Tropical Storm Fay got carpet wet

Posted by lynne_melb (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 4:28

Hi everyone.
We are fine but we have been having lots of rain from Tropical storm Fay. We are Melbourne FL on the east central coast. If you heard of Melbourne or southern Brevard county, then that's where we are. It's been raining for 4 days. We are fine but there's some ground water seepage into the edges of 3 carpeted rooms. It's wall to wall carpeting. Its not sewage, just rain water that saturated the ground so much, that some of the water seeped into the carpet. We have fans & dehumdifier running. Also a/c set to lower temp to reduce humidity. Carpet drying somewhat. Pad left on floor (concrete below). Not sure why this was done, but had other issues to contend with, so DH managed this issue. I will get carpet in all 3 rooms cleaned, but want to make sure that seepage has stopped. May have to replace at least 2 rooms of carpet but again need to make sure that rain and seepage has stopped. Any advice appreciated. Perhaps I need to spray 1/10 water solution of bleach on concrete, or pad.
Or perhaps not, since this will add to wetness. I am going to check w professional carpet cleaning company, but I need any real world advice.
Thanks much.
Lynne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please - Tropical Storm Fay got carpet wet

Oh, bless your hearts! As a former property manager I have lots of experience with wet carpet & I strongly suggest you use a wet vac- go over several times. It's always best to pull carpet back & allow fans to blow until it AND subfloors are COMPLETELY dry. Carpet companies will sell you the length of padding you need- it's ususally taped or glued to subfloor, butting up against edge of remaining pad, but you will need a professional to re-stretch (kick) carpet to tack strip, anyway, so you may want to go that route. IF there if ANY mildew on carpet backing, don't even try to save it.

Good luck!!!!

o

I agree with Gritty. Pull the rugs (and padding ) up as much as you can , put fans on it for several days. If any floor is exposed, was with a solution of bleach and water.

o

Had this happen in our FL condo as well last year.

I used a powerful wet/dry vac to suck up as much water as I could, then ran multiple fans.

I did have anyone with me to help me pull up the carpet so that was the best I could do.

Took about 3-4 days to dry completely.

o

OMG Lynne! I am so glad to hear everyone is ok, that is the most important! I have been out of the loop here, just popped on. Sorry to hear about your carpets.. I agree, really try to pull them up where they are wet and wet vac them as much as you can..then leave a fan on for a few days until they are completely dry, or you will get mold and mildew under it..you don't want that!

I have family down there, they had the heavy rain also, but everyone is ok thank goodness.

let us know how you make out. Again, so sorry you are going through this.
Ree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here