Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washing new items

Posted by macbirch (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 4:27

I just washed a new cotton/linen tea towel and it has a strange hessian-like oily smell. I haven't bought anything made of linen in ages and I've been trying to remember if new linen ever smelled like that. Is it normal, and if so is there any way I can hasten the removal of the smell?

Any other tips for washing new items in general? It seems they use more chemicals than they used to and one wash is rarely enough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washing new items

I remember when my kids were little, I washed everything before they put on clothes. Now I'm not so hyper-vigilant, but I do notice funny odors in linens, towels, clothes, evereything you buy. Just normal use and washing will eventually lift the smell.

o

What is a "hessian-like smell".
Linen, even new linen smells like the detergent it's been washed in.
Linda c

o

Sorry, I think hessian is similar or the same as what you call burlap?

o

Because linen is also an organic fiber it will have a similar smell to what you describe. That's not exactly a bad thing. I wouldn't worry, it will work out and start smelling like everything else in short order.

o

I wash everything that's washable before I use it. Never used to but now so many things are imported with chemicals sprayed with crap to kill bugs, etc., and so many things have the manufacturers' DNA on them -- just wash it before you use it. I once worked for a fabric store chain -- we received bolts of fabric from India that felt oily and smelled so rancid that it was pulled and returned. My advice -- wash it and if you still question whether or not you want to use it -- TAKE IT BACK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here