Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Soap Scum on tumbled stone shower

kristimama
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Can you recommend the best way to remove the soap scum from the tumbled stone (travertine) floor in my shower? And maybe something that'll lift off the layer of gross pink soap scum/moldy grime that's embedded in the groutlines, too.

We've been using nothing stronger than liquid palmolive (per our tile guy's recommendation) for about 18 months now, but about 6 months ago the stones and nearby grout has just looked awful. It's a daily battle now in the area directly below where we stand and rinse off. Seems like we're scrubbing once a day and each time we return it's baaaaack.

I just bought something from Seventh Generation for showers, as an alternative to the old school "Shower Power" type product we might have used before we installed this new bathroom. But then I noticed it said "Not on Marble" (which I interpreted as really not on any stone.)

I know I'll need to reseal the stone once I manage to get all this grimy nastiness out of my shower. I just want to get it really clean before I reseal, and would prefer not to have to use horribly toxic cleaners to do it.

It might also be nice to know what products I could use on a daily basis after it's resealed, to delay us getting here again. (And I know that I should switch to a liquid body wash, but we all have sensitive skin and cetaphil bar soap is about the only thing that we can use.)

Thanks,

-kristimama

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia