Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove tire mark on cotton clothing

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 2:06

Have black tire marks on my cotton capris after being run over by the tires. Have used my favorite spot remover before washing but it didn't work. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the marks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove tire mark on cotton clothing

I have the same problem like you.

Shani.

o

I'm wondering if the tire marks are rubber residue or just muddy dirt? I don't know if rubber can be removed. I learned long ago to take stained clothing to a good dry cleaner. Don't wash them first, you might just be setting the stain in permanently.

o

The tire marks are definitely rubber residue. My capri has already gone through the washer several times uisng different spot removers. Since it was my favorite it makes me sad to have to dump it.

o

Have you tried Lestoil? My husband came home with a few big marks on his khakis one day--it was blackish, dirt-like oil. For some reason I didn't think of the Lestoil first but used Dawn instead (which works for my fresh stains, which this was). I pre-treated for an hour then washed and dried, forgetting to check about the stain. Pants came out dry and still had the stain! I immediately put Lestoil on the stain and left it over night. Laundered again the next day, and stain is completely gone!

o

Try WD-40. Let it set 4 a few hours and then put Dawn in it. This works 4 tar, so it may work for this. The main ingredient is, fish oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here