Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tips for eliminating new carpet smell?

Posted by joleedee (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 2:00

I live in an apartment and the carpet (which is actually a year old) still reeks! I have gotten the carpet steam cleaned and have been airing out the room for days, but it still smells like new carpet. I've done some research and found that it most likely comes from the glue or backing underneath the carpet. I am sensitive to this smell and it makes me wheezy and have a sore throat. Does anyone know of anything that has worked for this situation? Do you think that getting some area rugs to cover up the carpet would cover up the odor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tips for eliminating new carpet smell?

Try sprinkling baking soda around, wait a few minutes then vacuum.

o

i will try that today and let you know how that goes, thank you.

o

i sprinkled baking soda around and left it overnight and vacuumed the next day, it seemed to make little difference. the room does smell better when there's a lot of wind and cross ventilation, but when the windows are closed it gets bad pretty quick. do you think an area rug would cover up the outgassing? or should i put in hardwood floors?

o

What are the carpet and the underlay made of?

o

If the odor in the carpet has not dissipated in a year, it's not going to. And I can't see how area rugs would help.

For the sake of your health, move out of that apartment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here