Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning natural wood walls

Posted by jaksown (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 0:44

I have a cabin built in the 40's. Interior walls need a good cleaning. I'm assuming they were origionally finished with a natural finish such as Tung or Danish oil but I have no way to know. I'm sure no cleaning or finish applied in 30 or so yease (if ever. Any suggestions as to cleaning and or a finish to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning natural wood walls

I've used Murphy's oil soap for cleaning wood, but if the finish is tung oil or danish oil, I'd hesitate to recommend it. It's usually for polyurethane or varnish finishes.
What kind of wood are you trying to clean, how fine is the finish, rough or sanded well, these are questions that might help us to get a better idea of what you're dealing with. Some woods are very dense or hard and won't soak up moisture easily whereas something like pine is very soft wood and will soak up moisture or water more easily . You may want to try to post this question on the wood working forum, see if you can get any answers there. When cleaning large areas like walls and ceilings, I've used a mop with a flat head, you can wrap it with whatever material you need to use if the sponge isn't suitable, and thus cover more area. good luck and keep us posted. ;)

o
RE: Cleaning natural wood walls

Carolsis, Thanks for the input. As far as I now it's white Pine. Full log construction and a smooth surface. I was thinking Murphy's and I've done spot cleaning without any issues. I also wonder if there's anything to put on after cleaning to help shine it up. Good idea about Posting to woodworking. Wish there was a log home forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here