Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamtoread

clean indoor concrete floors

jamtoread
17 years ago

How do I clean it?

I just started living in a home with "poured concrete" floors..(wording from owner) no carpet or wood.

Its just like the sidewalk or garage floor with a some sealer on it. Lines/cracks (1/4 deep) make 2 by 2 squares for 1000 sq ft.

Dusting or mopping cleans the surface but nothing removes the spots, grease,scum.

The Cracks are worse...Very dirty. Using a knife I have dug out the "stuff". Dirty, hair, crumbs, and I don't want to know what else. It took me 1/2 hour+ to do one crack.

Driving me crazy....

Help and thanks..My first post after lots of reading forum.

Comments (13)

• lindac
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think you rent a scrubber and a water sucking shop vac and scrub and suck the filth up.....and bill your landlord!
    Or call the baord of health and see what the guide lines are...
    Sounds like it's sort of living on the street....with a roof and without the rain to wash things off!
    Linda C

• zshopper
    17 years ago

I have a problem with this too. I have a bluestone slab at the foot of my fireplace and I cannot get it clean. Someone suggested myriotic acid, but it is sort of dangerous to work with, so I hesitate. I'm going to go to the nearest hardware store and ask their suggestions. Good luck

• centralcacyclist
    17 years ago

Concrete floors are not an esthetic shared by all but with the right setting and large area rugs, it can be a great look. The house above is in Arizona where the cool concrete floors make a lot of sense. The owners embrace a very modern look and the concrete works for them.

As for deep crack grime, I would rent a steamer and tackle the crud that way. Here are some concrete cleaning solutions that might work for you. Unsealed concrete is pourous and will absord oil etc.

A Heavy-Duty Floor Cleaner
    Here's a recipe for a solution that will remove extra-tough dirt and grime from asphalt, glazed or unglazed ceramic tile, concrete, flagstone, and slate floors:

* Mix 1⁄4 cup low-sudsing, all-purpose cleaner; 1 cup ammonia; and 1⁄2 gallon cool or cold water. Caution: Wear rubber gloves, and work in a well-ventilated area when using this powerful solution.
    * Apply the solution to the floor with a sponge mop, using pressure for heavily soiled areas; rinse with cool, clear water for spotless results.
    * Dry with a soft cloth.

Concrete is an extremely strong, durable material made from cement and aggregate. Concrete is porous, whether used as a floor in garage, porch or patio, driveway or walks.

Often porch or patio floors will have an extra smooth surface, but it will still absorb stains easily. It may be sealed or painted. Concrete floors are sealed to prevent staining, since without sealing it absorbs stains readily. The floor must cure and dry after it is laid before it can be sealed, with the time required varying with weather, temperature, building conditions, etc. Floors must be clean, and any remaining alkali in the concrete must be neutralized before sealing. Contact a good paint store or cement dealer for complete instructions and materials to use.

Painting concrete varies depending on its use. Latex floor paints react with rubber tires in garages, as well as with bicycle tires, lawnmower tires, etc. The result is peeling. Alkyd floor enamels are more moisture resistant, and normally old up better under these conditions. But they are more slippery when wet. If there is moisture rising from beneath the surface of the floor it may also cause enamel floor paint to peel.

To clean, wet with clear water. Apply a hot solution of 2 to 2 1/2 ounces washing soda or 1/2 ounce TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) per gallon of water. TSP can be found in paint, hardware and home center stores.

Grease Stains: In a garage, it is advisable to place a shallow metal pan under the car to catch dripping oil. Spreading the area under the car with sand or sawdust will help absorb dripping oil. Periodically saturated sand or sawdust should be scraped away and fresh, clean material put in place. This will prevent tracking oil to other areas of cement or into the house. If oil or grease is spilled on porch or patio cement, apply an absorbent powder such as fuller's earth, cornmeal, or sawdust to absorb as much oil as possible immediately. Leave it on stain for a few hours and sweep up.

Here are some various methods to remove grease stains:

1. Using a stiff long handled brush, scrub stain with concentrated detergent suds. Rinse well with hose. Dry and repeat if necessary.
    2. Sprinkle "dishwasher" detergent (dry) on wet concrete. Let it stand a few minutes; pour boiling water on area. Scrub and rinse. Use rubber gloves on hands.
    3. Commercial products are available in paint/hardware home centers. Some can also be used on blacktop surfaces.
    4. On wet oily surface of concrete, sprinkle with tri-sodium phosphate. Allow to stand 15 to 30 minutes, then scrub with stiff brush and hot water. Rinse with clean water.
    5. Dissolve a cup tri-sodium phosphate in 1 gallon of hot water. Pour over stained cement surface generously and allow to soak 15 to 20 minutes. Scrub vigorously with stiff brush or broom. Rinse off with hose. Repeat if necessary.
    6. Scrub the concrete with a grease solvent to remove as much as possible of the grease stain. Have good ventilation and avoid spark or flame as solvents are flammable. Naptha, often recommended, can ignite, just from a spark from friction or rubbing.
    7. Mix 1 part sodium citrate to 6 parts water and 6 parts glycerin and add enough whiting or fuller's earth to make a thick paste. Spread paste on oil or grease stain. Let stand 1 week. Add new paste when it dries. Flush with water after brushing dry paste away. Repeat if necessary.

Rust Stains : Make a paste of 1 part sodium citrate crystals to 6 parts water and enough whiting or fuller's earth to make a paste. Spread paste on rust stains and allow to dry. Scrape off. Rust should be removed. Repeat if necessary.

• lkangela
    17 years ago

In a commercial setting, those saw cut control joints you have been struggling to clean out are commonly filled with caulk which would be one potential solution for you. Or fill them with something else...epoxy comes to mind.

• antoinettee
    15 years ago

I have a recently stained concrete floor that has been sealed with a lacquer sealant. It was subsequently cleaned using a mix of water and WD40. The WD40 left a residue that feels like a greasy film and looks as if the finish is dulled. Any ideas on how to remove the WD40 from the floor without damaging the sealant?

• harpdds_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Would like to paint concrete floors in a house built in 1925 that has concrete fllors. First I want to clean them- the floors once had linoleum over the concrete so there is some type of mastic-tar? residue. Don't really want to use muriatic acid inside. How do you recommend cleaning and what painting technique

• flooring_Houston
    12 years ago

Learning how to properly maintain your flooirng can help it last longer. There are harsh cleaning chemicals that might affect the appearance of your conrete flooring especially if you hvae opted for the stained or epoxy coated kind. Thank you for the tips. The given photos above are inspiring!

• jannie
    12 years ago

Try store brand "sudsy" ammonia. It's cheap (I paid $1,79 for a gallon, dilute with water) and strong (strong fumes, too). apply with a scrub brush and rinse thoroughly.

• maggie32401
    9 years ago

My entire house is on one level and concrete that has been stained. When I damp mop It dries dull. Any ideas?

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Maggie-
    Go to a paint store like Sherwin-Williams and buy concrete sealer. It's a clear coating that comes in various gloss levels and is easy to apply. It costs about $50 a gallon, but it will look great and will decrease your maintenance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete sealer

• cacocobird
    9 years ago

I moved into an apartment that has unsealed concrete floors. What is the best way to clean them?

• ecoflora
    8 years ago

I am allergic to plastic and acrylic but plan to install concrete floors in my new house. What can I use to protect the concrete?