Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam cleaner additives?

Posted by pesky1 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 0:31

I have a steam cleaner and I love it sooo much! I've never been able to clean things like I can with it. Now, the problem is that I don't like the 'steamed' smell after I've cleaned a room with it. I like a room that smells pretty, I particularly love lavender...but my DH can't abide by the smells of anything chemical. No plug ins, reed diffusers, commercial cleaners, etc.

So what would be a good alternative to the steam smell? I don't imagine I can add anything to the water, but was thinking maybe I could do a lavender infused water, then strain out the lavender. Would that work? I've never tried anything like that so I don't even know if soaking lavender would result in scented water!

Im particularly concerned about one of our bathrooms. It's got a tile floor, and the steamer cleans the offending scent from the grout around the toilet, but I want a fresh scent afterward.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam cleaner additives?

Pesky, I responded on the Decorating Forum, but had another thought. It addition to the steam cleaner manufacturers warning against additives, there is so little water used in steam cleaning that there would not be much effect. You might be better off making up the lavender water and then spraying or lightly pouring it on the floor towards the end of cleaning the room.

o

I make cologne or toilet water from flowers I like. Roses, lilacs, lavendar all work well. boil the petals in water, strain out the solids, mix in a little rubbing alcohol and liquid glycerin (both available in any pharmacy). Put in a spray bottle anm use as an air freshener. Shake well each time you use it. It doesn't keep very long-maybe a month or two.

o

I add a little rose concentrate to my cleaning solution and it's never hurt my bissell steam cleaner. You don't want an over powering aroma anyway, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here