Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Vacuum wheels scratching hardwood floor!

Posted by ktmast (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 0:16

I just had my kitchen maple hardwood floor refinished about a month ago. Originally they were finished with "Street Shoe". The man who did it this time used Bona. The old finish did have scratches. The floor looks great, but I noticed when I use the vacuum (canister) the wheels leave curved scratches when the canister turns. I checked, there is nothing on the wheels and the vacuum is less than a year old.

I think I need to find an alternative to using the vacuum before using the Bona mop and cleaner. Please give me advice as to what works to get up the dog hair, cat hair, crumbs and dust prior to "washing" the floor.

Katy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Vacuum wheels scratching hardwood floor!

I'd use a broom and dust pan, or purchase an inexpensive stick vac to use. My Dyson scratched floors.

-Grainlady

o

Take fine file to the wheels to smooth up the wheels. I would not use a vacuum on hard floors. It is a lot of work, I also prefer a broom or dusk mop, much easier and quicker.

o

Is there a preferred micro cloth dust mop? Is one brand better than the others? A friend recommended the Swifter, but I don't like the thought of using disposable cloths daily.

o

Just use your canister vac. Go to your local hardware store and purchase felt tape with the sticky back and apply it to the wheels of your vac. Vacuum your way into the room so U R not catching the pet hair on the wheels. If U do pick some up, just use masking tape to remove it. While U R at it get on you hands and knees and use your dusting brush to remove the cobwebs and hair which is hanging beneath your tow kicks. That is the cabinet over hang which extend past the cabinet base. U would not believe the crap that those cob webs hold. I am not Amish, and use my vacs on everything. I only use a broom in the garage.

o

The right vacuum with the right attachments can do the job. I would suggest investing in one especially if you have more hardwood in your home and its not just your kitchen. Good models from different price ranges that are designed with the right attachments to clean on hardwood are :
BISSELL Zing Bagless / Eureka Mighty Mite / Dyson DC39 Multi Floor / Electrolux Sanitaire / Miele S2121 Capri / Miele S8990 UniQ.
These models cost from 100$-1500$ so it is up to you and how much you want to invest in a new vacuum for your hardwood floor. Use the right attachments as well.
Of course you can also just do what others suggested and simply not use a vacuum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here