Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew in tile shower

Posted by kcal (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 23:47

Our new shower has a granite seat across one of the corners. There is some mildew forming in the corner under the seat. What is the best way to clean this and keep it from growing? I was told not to use anything as harsh as bleach or vinegar on the tile or grout. Nothing I have tried so far has stopped it. Hope someone can help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew in tile shower

First, I would call the person who gave you those instructions and ask how he suggests getting rid of the mildew. The fact is you need to use a cleaning product on the granite to remove the mildew, and the occasional use of such products are not going to harm it. For goodness sakes, they make bridges and buildings out of granite.

If it were my bathroom, I would use Comet mildew spray to remove the mildew (rinse well after), then each time I used the shower, I would wipe the area dry with a towel. I would also improve the air circulation in the room. Find a plug-in fan that turns itself off after an hour and use it every time you shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comet Mildew Remover

o

I've used Tilex on mildew and it works fairly well.. Note the fumes are awful. avoid breathing in, work quickly with the spray and when you finish, close the bathroom door , put on the vent fan and/or open a window, My one gripe with Tilex is that it comes in different purposes-one for mildew, one for soap scum, but none combining mildew and soap scum removal.

o

Try getting a bottle of Concrobrium Mold Control. It is natural and approved by the EPA, contains enzymes and no harsh chemcials. It kills mold and prevents it from growing.

The only caveat is if the surface gets wet constantly then eventually the protection will wear off. Your first step should be to prevent the problem in the first place but it sounds like this corner probably doesn't get a lot of air so I would try the mold control and see what happens.

o

When we recently regrouted our shower, I applied a 20 year grout sealer from Home Depot. It's been 3 mos+ & zero mold or mildew. I missed one area of grout (which I'll need to throughly clean & apply sealer) because that area does have mold/mildew. The grout sealer works wonderfully!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here