Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haname

Cleaning Washing Machine (Natural Style?)

Haname
12 years ago

I have a front loader which gets a musty odor, pretty common in these front loaders. Today I picked up the Tide product designed to clean and freshen washing machines, and it's running through a cycle right now. It will probably do a decent job, but I would really prefer to use something that is more natural. It is recommended to use it every month. I already use borax in the wash and vinegar in the rinse cycle, and have tried dosing the machine with larger amounts of vinegar to no avail. Bleach was not effective and I don't want to use bleach anyway.

Has anyone tried a home remedy that works?

Comments (10)

• jannie
    12 years ago

Once this cleaning is done, every time you do a load, leave the door open afterwards. It will allow your washer to dry out and not develop any molds,odors,fungi, etc. I've been doing this with my machine since I bought it in 2001.

.mod

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I clean mine with citric acid based products (not full of chemicals or perfumey smells).

Some brands; Smelly Washer, LemiShine.

I occasionally run a "tub clean" cycle with some chlorine bleach to kill any bacteria.

Other things that help keep tubs clean; vinegar, oxygen bleach, borax.

You really need the citric cleaners to remove any build up in the drum. Build up is a great place for mold to form.

I think the Tide cleaner smells terrible - why do we need all that perfume on our washing machine?

• jannie
    12 years ago

I was in my local laundromat and saw the attendant running an empty wash (no laundry-only water) with a good dose of clear vinegar. She had a one gallon bottle and dumped in about a third. I guess that's how the "pros" clean!

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

livebetter, how much of the lemi-shine do you use, and what procedure?

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I actually only used LemiShine in my dishwasher (my older Kitchen Aid - I just got a new Miele). I have used Smelly Washer in my washing machines (because I have it).

The LemiShine site had these instructions for washing machines:

Lemi Shine Machine Cleaner: The Ultimate Machine Cleaner & Deodorizer
    - Cleans, deodorizes & optimizes dishwashers, washing machines & garbage disposals
    - Only product designed for all 3 machines

How do I use Lemi Shine MC in my washing machine?

Maintenance:

1. Pour entire contents of one pouch into detergent receptacle or bottom of empty
      washing machine.
    2. Set wash cycle temperature to warm and start cycle as normal.
      Initial Treatment:
    3. Follow maintenance directions 1-2.*
    4. Once started, allow cycle to run for 2-5 minutes.
    5. Pause cycle and allow to soak for at least 4 hours.
    6. Resume cycle as normal.
      *Use of 2 pouches combined may be necessary depending on hard water buildup.

Here is a link to Smelly Washer as well:
    http://www.smellywasher.com/

How do I use Smelly Washer Cleaner? - Add 1 tbsp (a level cap full) to a hot setting and allow the cycle to complete. More extreme cases find that a long soak is needed to dissolve odor-causing residue.

FWIW, Linda Cobb (Queen of Clean) is now endorsing Smelly Washer. Watch this video because she gives more advince on cleaning your machine with natural items.
    http://queenofclean.com/palace-picks/smelly-washer-and-smelly-towel/

Smelly Washer is completely natural. LemiShine might be too but I'm not sure they say it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemi Shine

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you livebetter, I have lemishine on hand because I use it in my dishwasher, didn't realize it was good for washers odor too. Thanks for the tips and I will look for Linda Cobb's website. Couldn't see a link to a video though. ?

• livebetter
    12 years ago

It's right on the page of the Queen of Clean link I posted. I'll post direct link here. Scroll down to bottom and press the play button.

She describes how to use bleach, vinegar, tea tree oil and oxygen bleach to keep your machine clean and fresh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of Clean - cleaning your washing machine

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops! I didn't notice the url :/ Thanks for your help!

• SharperClean
    12 years ago

Add five cups of white vinegar at the start of the first cycle. This is the magic ingredient that can really make a washing machine clean. Just the first cycle may do the trick. If you have more serious issues in getting your washing machine clean, add three more cups to the rinse cycle.