Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean cloth pleated shades?

Posted by debbrown01 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 22:23

I searched and found a thread about cleaning Duet shades but I'm not sure that this would apply to mine.

I hate to admit it but I pulled out the receipt and found that my shades are 15 years old and I've never cleaned them!

These are Del Mar Softlights cloth pleated shades. I'm not sure what type of material they are made of.

Any suggestions for cleaning?

Thanks!
deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean cloth pleated shades?

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "clean". Are you at least vacuuming them off occasionally? Use the hose of the vacuum cleaner with a dusting brush attachment and vacuum off the shades, in a down motion. It would be better to lower the suction if the shades are delicate. You should be able to lower the amount of suction be opening a "bleeder valve" on the hose or lowering the motor speed at the vacuum itself.

o

They need more than a vacuum. A couple of them have quite a few spots.

I tried washing one with a sponge and dish soap last night. It didn't come clean but it also didn't damage the material. I think I might try soaking one in the bath tub.

Deb

o

Hi,
Just open your phone book and look for blind cleaning service. I had Duette's for years and had them cleaned every Spring. That was for 8 years. Just find one that does not pull up in a van and clean them on your driveway. I have had that done and they are not very good. I found a service who would take them back to their shop and put them in a vat, opened all of the way. The process is Ultrasonic, much like denture cleaners. The results were flawless! I move into this place and it is all mini blinds with 10 years of smoke. They came back like brand new. It is worth the $.

Best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here