Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Vacuum for Pet Hair?

Posted by bubblr (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 22:02

I have to get a new vacuum cleaner as the old one is beyond fixing at last. The dog hair is accumulating... I'm not looking to spend a whole lot- say less than $150- if that is reasonable (less would be better).

My dogs shed mostly in summer, when they also bring in a lot of mud after a run that turns to dirt. I have three large dogs (including the GSD- biggest shedder), all with medium length hair. The flooring is mainly hardwood, with some carpet on the stairs and in the living room area. It is a relatively small house- 900 square feet. It would be great if the vacuum had good attachments for the car as well.

What has worked for you? Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Vacuum for Pet Hair?

We have a hoover nano and it is the bomb. I picked it up for $60. We have two dogs and two cats (all short haired, but still) and my husband is a stone mason. I was driving myself crazy trying to keep up with that much dirt and pet hair with a broom and dustpan!
Our floors are all hardwood with a couple of area rugs. It has a setting for hard floors and a setting for carpet, and an easily detachable hose wand tool thingy.
It's really an awesome little vacuum.

o

I love my Eureka Boss. people complain that it is heavy, but it cleans so much better that our other expensive one. I have three very hairy dogs, golden retriever, Aussie (with thick fur like a collie) and a part chow. Probably should vacuum twice a day, but I don't still when I do, it gets it all. I use the handheld part for the couches.

o

I have a Dyson but you won't get it for $150. It will last longer and work better than the $150 models though. I'd read reviews on amazon, Bissell seems to make ok inexpensive pet hair vacuums.

o

Many vacuums that are advertised as specialized in pet hair cleaning are good at it. If you had a small dog a handheld would have been ok most of the time and that will cover the car too. However with 3 big dogs that go in and out of the house all the time you need bigger vacuum. When we factor that you also want to use it for your car too i would say a canister is your best pick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here