Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Since my post on the flooring forum is about to roll off

Posted by ncamy (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 21:34

I'll try here! I need help in determining how to maintain my hardwood floors in our temporary rental.

We have rented an older house to live in while we build. It has very nice hardwood floors throughout the house (and crappy beat up ones in the kitchen.) When we moved in the furniture we made a few minor scrapes in scratches in the nice floors. How can I tell what kind of finish is on these floors? I figured if it is an oil finish, then I'll just touch up the scratches with a little tung oil, but if it is polyurethane, then I'll use a hardwood floor restoring product like "Restore." The problem is I don't know how to tell what kind of finish is currently on them. How can I determine the proper way to maintain them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Since my post on the flooring forum is about to roll off

There are several sites on the internet that suggest tests you can perform on the wood to determine the finish, but I don't see any that include a test for an oil finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood floor finish tests

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here