Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturemuzic

Cleaning a burnt pot

naturemuzic
14 years ago

I started a small amount of water to boil, for eventual hummingbird food; long story short, the water burned off & I ended up with a nice gray coating across the bottom !

The kettle has a coating - previous to the one I burned on - so I'm hoping for a way to clean it as they are still somewhat new.

I tried salt & water to a boil, let sit 12 hours, then tried to scrub off the gray, to no avail - any ideas are much appreciated!

Comments (13)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

What material is the pot made of?

• naturemuzic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

stainless steel

• jaybird
    14 years ago

fill with hot water
    pour in baking soda to cover bottom of pan
    top with a dryer sheet and the lid
    let sit for a couple of days
    wash and use :^)

• cohoss
    14 years ago

I tried two methods with pretty good success:
    1. Add two tablespoons of cream of tartar to a cup or so of water and boil for 10 minutes
    2. Boil a Coke for about 5 minutes

Both have worked pretty good on stainless for me, but the tartar seems to be the best out of the two.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

Sprinkle some electric dishwasher detergent in pan and add hot water. Use a tablespoon or two. Let sit and it should swish right out. Usually an hour will do it, but sometimes I just leave it soaking overnight and rinse it out in the morning.

• arkansas girl
    14 years ago

Use the cream of tartar method from cohoss! I've even cleaned burner bibs(trays) with this and you know that nothing else cleans the burned on grease on a burner bib!!!!

• naturemuzic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to ALL ! My PC crashed, but didn't burn so will be trying these suggestions in the next day or two.

Again. much thanks !

• eteinne
    14 years ago

Just spray it with Easy Off in the yellow can and not the Fume Free in the blue can as they are not the same. Just leave it sit for an hour and wash the pan. It works like a charm but only for SS pots. I also use it on my Pyrex and all of my Corning Ware and have done so for over 30 years. You can't use it on the Pyrex with the Non-Stick coating. I also use it on the grinding chamber of my diposal and if you don't have a disposal I use it on my strainer basket on the other sink. Those are also made of SS. The coffee oils are disolved in an instant. It also works like a charm in glass coffee pots. How many of you have washed yours and they still have a brownish cast? Just spray the inside and you will see what I mean. I just wash it out and throw it into the DW and it comes out like new.

• carolssis
    14 years ago

Sprinke burned area with baking soda, pour in vinegar, it will bubble up, let sit for an hour or so, and wash. should work fine.

• naturemuzic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the baking soda, dryver sheet was not the answer, so will pick up some cream of tartar, easy off & also try the b/soda, vinegar suggestions as well.

Many thanks to you all trying to help this old goof !

Blessings....

Dallas

• naturemuzic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, the baking soda & vinegar did bubble, but that's about all, as I still have that gray coating on it. I'll have to try the Coke, Easy Off & eventually the Cream of Tartar.

Thanks again & have great weekends !

Dallas

• naturemuzic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I have now tried everything & none, for me, has worked. But I thank you all for your input!

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

I'm a guy and lazy...

I clean my SS pots when I screw up with 1/2 sheet folded wet/dry sandpaper & a drop of dishwashing liquid and wet pot and paper.
    Have the same 220 gritt wet/dry sitting there for 2 yrs at least, and it gets an occasional use. I should buy a finer gritt someday when I think of it for a second finer 'scratch pattern.

Leaves swirl marks which buff out over time to shiny smoothness with scotchbrite pads and just regular scrubbing.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994