Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning a burnt pot

Posted by naturemuzic (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 21:10

I started a small amount of water to boil, for eventual hummingbird food; long story short, the water burned off & I ended up with a nice gray coating across the bottom !
The kettle has a coating - previous to the one I burned on - so I'm hoping for a way to clean it as they are still somewhat new.
I tried salt & water to a boil, let sit 12 hours, then tried to scrub off the gray, to no avail - any ideas are much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning a burnt pot

What material is the pot made of?

o

stainless steel

o

fill with hot water
pour in baking soda to cover bottom of pan
top with a dryer sheet and the lid
let sit for a couple of days
wash and use :^)

o

I tried two methods with pretty good success:
1. Add two tablespoons of cream of tartar to a cup or so of water and boil for 10 minutes
2. Boil a Coke for about 5 minutes

Both have worked pretty good on stainless for me, but the tartar seems to be the best out of the two.

o

Sprinkle some electric dishwasher detergent in pan and add hot water. Use a tablespoon or two. Let sit and it should swish right out. Usually an hour will do it, but sometimes I just leave it soaking overnight and rinse it out in the morning.

o

Use the cream of tartar method from cohoss! I've even cleaned burner bibs(trays) with this and you know that nothing else cleans the burned on grease on a burner bib!!!!

o

Thanks to ALL ! My PC crashed, but didn't burn so will be trying these suggestions in the next day or two.

Again. much thanks !

o

Just spray it with Easy Off in the yellow can and not the Fume Free in the blue can as they are not the same. Just leave it sit for an hour and wash the pan. It works like a charm but only for SS pots. I also use it on my Pyrex and all of my Corning Ware and have done so for over 30 years. You can't use it on the Pyrex with the Non-Stick coating. I also use it on the grinding chamber of my diposal and if you don't have a disposal I use it on my strainer basket on the other sink. Those are also made of SS. The coffee oils are disolved in an instant. It also works like a charm in glass coffee pots. How many of you have washed yours and they still have a brownish cast? Just spray the inside and you will see what I mean. I just wash it out and throw it into the DW and it comes out like new.

o

Sprinke burned area with baking soda, pour in vinegar, it will bubble up, let sit for an hour or so, and wash. should work fine.

o

Well, the baking soda, dryver sheet was not the answer, so will pick up some cream of tartar, easy off & also try the b/soda, vinegar suggestions as well.

Many thanks to you all trying to help this old goof !

Blessings....

Dallas

o

Ok, the baking soda & vinegar did bubble, but that's about all, as I still have that gray coating on it. I'll have to try the Coke, Easy Off & eventually the Cream of Tartar.

Thanks again & have great weekends !

Dallas

o

Well, I have now tried everything & none, for me, has worked. But I thank you all for your input!

o

I'm a guy and lazy...

I clean my SS pots when I screw up with 1/2 sheet folded wet/dry sandpaper & a drop of dishwashing liquid and wet pot and paper.
Have the same 220 gritt wet/dry sitting there for 2 yrs at least, and it gets an occasional use. I should buy a finer gritt someday when I think of it for a second finer 'scratch pattern.

Leaves swirl marks which buff out over time to shiny smoothness with scotchbrite pads and just regular scrubbing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here