Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fausta76

What is your MUST have central vac accessory?

fausta76
15 years ago

I pretty much decided on getting a Beam central vac and now am agonizing over the immense accessory choices available. Turbocat V, Turbocat Zoom, Turbocat regular, stretch hoses, ....... my head is swimming. I'm not sure what I need to buy. Our house is about 4000 square feet -- mostly hardwoods except for the attic which has a carpet. Can anyone offer some clarity on what is a must have and what is junk? Where is the best website too to get this stuff?

Thanks in advance.....

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I have and use:
    1) a 30 foot hose;
    2) a hose sock;
    3) a hardwood floor brush;
    4) a hard floor tool for tile in the kitchen and bathrooms;
    5) a round brush for window sills, corners, and baseboards;
    6) an electric powered brush for carpets.

I have a crevice tool, but seldom use it because the sound of the air flowing through it is uncomfortably loud.

If I were to get one more item, it would be a short stretch hose for quick clean-ups.

All of my accessories came with the machine, so I have not purchased any, but I like this website for looking at all the accessories:

Here is a link that might be useful: central vac accessories

• fausta76
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you for all that info -- what's the difference between a hardwood floor brush and what you use for the tiles? I also was debating on the stretch house but wasn't sure if they were durable or just gimmicky. Thanks for the link!

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

I saw a French movie once where the apartment had a central vacuum with a little trap door. The apartment resident would just sweep everything to the trap door, open it with her toe and it would suck everything in. She had no accessories except a small broom.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

what's the difference between a hardwood floor brush and what you use for the tiles?

The hardwood floor brush tool had brushes on it; the tile floor tool does not.

I saw a French movie once where the apartment had a central vacuum with a little trap door. The apartment resident would just sweep everything to the trap door, open it with her toe and it would suck everything in. She had no accessories except a small broom.

I have two of those "sweeps" in my house as part of the central vac system. They are convenient for messy areas.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I have had central vac system for nearly 30 years. I use the motorized carpet head, the hard floor cleaner head with a brush attached around the edge mostly. I find I just use the end of the hose instead of the crevice tool, which I seem to use only to clean out the window tracks. I also have a small two brush attachment-a soft brush on one end and a flat small hard head for stairs or upholstery. I use them sometimes. I have no other need except I had to order an extra long hose.

• jannie
    15 years ago

My friend Betsy has a central vacuum and hates it. She said the suction is crummy. I am still in search of the perfect vacuum. I have owned two Electreoluxes , one Hoover (the worst), a Bissell and a Eureka. I once tried to buy a Dyson, but the salesman talked me out of it. Maybe his commission wouldn't be paid on that brand?

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Well, Jannie, my suggestion would be to stop paying attention to Betsy and the salesman and get either a central vac or a Dyson, my two fav vacuums! LOL!

• lucky51
    15 years ago

With the size of your home (4,000 sf), I'm pretty sure you will be HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED if you get a turbo brush. Spend the extra and get the motorized Powerhead. I find most customers who come into my shop that hate their Central Vac system it's because it is suction only without a PH. A turbo would be OK for a smaller amount of carpet. IMHO