Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aenilor

Regular dish soap in the dishwasher

aenilor
15 years ago

How do you get the dishwasher to stop creating suds after using regular dish soap. Need help might have ruined friends dishwasher

Comments (10)

• lindac
    15 years ago

A very little fabric softener....just a few drops should knock it back.
    Linda C

• mommabird
    15 years ago

OMG I laughed so hard!!! When I was about 13, I decied to surprise my mom & clean the kitchen top to bottom after school, before she got home from work. I loaded the dishwasher & we were out of Electrasol, so I filled the dishwasher cup all the way up with Palmolive dishwashing soap.

THERE WERE BUBBLES EVERYWHERE!!!! I mean EVERYWHERE! They came out around the seal and just kept coming and coming and coming. I called my mom at work hysterical - and BOY was she every hysterical when she got home and saw it!!!

She vacuumed out the inside of the dishwasher with a shop vac, the ran it empty with Electrasol powder a couple of times. The bubbles did finally stop.

BUT it was the 70's and we had that flat kitchen carpet - I think every time the carpet got wet forever after that bubbles would start up out of the carpet!

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

Oh dear. I did that once. In an attempt to avoid harsh chemicals in my home, I tried a bit of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soapt in the DW.

I went in the kitchen a while later. The lights were off (it was night). I was puzzled. What on earth was that growing, white blob in front of the dishwasher. Moving across the floor like The Blob. I screamed and ran for the towels!

Luckily I only used a teeny bit, and it cleared up after another wash.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I've had problems when I soaked pots with a squirt of dish soap, then placed them in the dishwasher. The action of the dishwasher makes even a tiny bit of soap go crazy. Yeah, I've had "The Blob" at my house. I threw salt on it, then wiped up the water with towels. Salt does something to the viscosity of the bubbles, they "pop" and The Blob receeds!

• mommabird
    15 years ago

I am picking myself up off the floor laughing at your posts - THE BLOB! That's what it was when I was 13 - a BLOB of bubbles about 4' high!

• rosabearr
    15 years ago

First of all you didn't use regular soap in dish washer that how you got BUBBLES TO began with. Next time go walmart and buy the cheapiest brand for dishwashier

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Rosabar, thank you for sharing.

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

Too Funny.

• emma
    10 years ago

When I was young I had to use laundries and I put a cup of clothes washing powder in a front loader. Bubbles running out of the washer. The gentleman who ran the laundry was very understanding and nice to me. Memories.............

• Bunny
    10 years ago

In the early 60s, when I was a teenager, I did the same thing. My mom had left with instructions to run the dishwasher and put everything away. We were out of DW detergent so I liberally squirted liquid dish soap inside, turned on the DW and went back to my room. The next time I went into the kitchen, there was standing water everywhere, and it was a large kitchen. Initially I didn't even understand what had happened. This would not be good for my mom to see!! Fortunately, there was a slider next to the kitchen table. I opened it wide and started sweeping the water out onto the deck.

Nobody ever knew what had happened. >:-)