Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning a set-in mildew stain on fiberglass shower

Posted by Minako (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 18:48

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and have found the forums to be very helpful for tackling tricky household cleaning problems. I have browsed through the many posts here, but I haven't found anything to tackle my latest issue, so I hope you all can help.

I am trying to get rid of a very stubborn mildew stain that has built up over time in the fiberglass shower we have in the master bath of our house. This master bath rarely gets used, as I'm caring for this house while my parents are away overseas, and have always used the main bathroom. I went to check the master bath and saw that not only do I have a leaky shower to contend with, some terrible mildew has built up on the shower floor over several months. I've been able to get rid of most of the stain, but some of it still remains.

I've tried most of the products and methods recommended here so far. Tilex and Lysol spray-on bathroom cleaners, Lime Away, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, Barkeeper's Friend (the abrasive and soft-scrub varieties), and finally Oxi-Clean powder directly onto the stain itself. I've tried the last two methods three or four times, including leaving the Oxiclean on overnight to see if it would improve the appearance of the stain.

I've had the most success with the Barkeeper's Friend and the Oxiclean, but I am really hoping to remove the stain entirely. Is there anything else I should try? Should I continue with the Barkeeper's Friend and Oxiclean over several days to see if it will continue to remove the stain, or just settle with the results as they are? Any other tips or advice I would gladly welcome. Thanks in advance for the help!

I've included a photo for reference. I apologize that the detail is not quite as sharp, but you can still make out the outline of the stain.

Sincerely,

Minako

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning a set-in mildew stain on fiberglass shower

Did you try oven cleaner?

Here is a link that might be useful: Oven cleaner for fiberglass shower

o

I shall try that, thanks for the tip! Do you think Easy-Off will be safe? It's not the kind that comes in a canister, but a blue liquid you put on the oven then wipe clean.

As an update, I have also been alternating between uses of baking soda pastes and paper towels soaked in vinegar, and letting them sit for about thirty minutes to an hour. Slowly the stain does appear to be going away. Here's a photo from today for reference. The stain is a little bit lighter.

Thanks again for the tip with the oven cleaner. I'll test it out and report back. :)

Minako

o

Hi everyone,

Special thanks to graywings for the oven cleaner tip to remove this mildew stain! I used one application of Easy Off Stove Top cleaner. I applied it directly onto the stain, following the line where it was most visible, and let it sit for a few hours. I came back, scrubbed over the area directly with a toothbrush for a few minutes, and it really seemed to pull out more of the stain. I didn't realize, but the oven cleaner actually has a very small amount of grit to it, which I think helped tremendously.

After this I rinsed everything out, poured some more hydrogen peroxide over the area, and then went back to a baking soda paste application and let it sit overnight. Here's another photo showing how the stain looks today.

I think it's just a matter of patience and time, but it does seem to slowly be coming out. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here