Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knifes getting rust spots in dishwasher

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 18:39

I bought a new set of cutlery for 12 about 6 months ago. They all still look brand new except for the knife blades which are pitting,looks like little rust marks. The set is 18/10 stainless steel but I understand that no blades are ever 18/10. But I do not know what they are. I complained to the manufacturer and they sent me 12 new knives and said that it was because my water was not hot enough and that I was using Cascade powder and that I should use the liquid. I received the new knives and have ran my dishwasher 4 times since then and still used the powder but turned on the internal water heater on my dishwasher. Well just noticed that it started again. Little rust marks on just the blades. The reason I did not get the liquid was because I noticed that the liquid has bleach whereas the powder does not. Do you really think that the liquid would make a differenc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knifes getting rust spots in dishwasher

We just quit washing cutlery in the dishwasher at all. We had some older, wide-blade, knives that we liked to use for spreads and they started getting the rust spots - and it wasn't long until our newer ones were getting them too, so we just do all the cutlery by hand now. There's only two of us and neither mind doing dishes, but it's a pain to see your new stuff look like old stuff from washing them in the dishwasher.

As far as the water not being hot enough... I always run the hot water to the kitchen faucet before I start the dishwasher to assure the hottest water is available. And the dishwasher also has a heater for the water, so I'm not buying that at all. I suspect the plating on the knives wears out quickly, so the steel on the knives is rusting - PERIOD. Don't have a problem now that we wash AND dry them by hand. The newer set will probably look better longer doing them by hand.

-Grainlady

o

My sister and mother always had-wash their silverplate,knives, and all metal pots.

o

Could your water be high in metal...which then the deposits would then rust?

o

You can get the enzyme detergent (no bleach) in liquid form, one brand is Cascade Complete.

o

I'm having the same problems, except without any pitting. what's weird with my story is that this didn't happen until I UPGRADED my dishwasher to a Bosch. I use a powdered enzyme which cleans well. I've noticed that I now need to prerinse the knives, which helps. Any rust residue easily wipes off, but it's a pain. I just wouldn't think I'd have that problem with a Bosch, for goodness sake!

o

I was taught to never, ever under any circumstances put knives in the dishwasher... which is a pain, but I have to say that it does keep the knives from rusting. And if the knives have wooden handles, washing by hand keeps the wood from drying out. So double your pleasure!

o

I never put sharpened knives in the dishwasher but all the rest of the silverware goes in, including all the real silver. We use it every day. I would go to the manufacturer of the silverware and ask them what to expect from washing in the washer.

o

I did not have this problem until I bought a Bosch as well. Could it have something to do with the stainless steel interior of the dishwasher? I have to rewash all my knives now when they come out of the dishwasher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here