Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsie80

Kaboom NeverScrub for your toilet

elsie80
17 years ago

I tried this thinking it would be such a great idea - never scrub your toilet again! Wonderful! Turned out quite differently. The dispenser you install in the toilet tank upset the balance somehow and caused the toilet to leak into the bowl constantly. In addition to that, the liquid material that is dissolved and washed into the bowl stained the bowl! Taking the apparatus out restored balance so the toilet stopped leaking, and the stain is slowly disappearing. Our water is high in calcium, which may have had something to do with the staining, but I'm glad I only ordered one for the shipping cost of $4.99.

Elsie

Comments (21)

• Katy
    17 years ago

Thanks for the warning on this product!

• sandbag
    17 years ago

If you follow instructions there is no way that this product will leak water into your bowl constantly. And I've never heard of a toilet bowl having a "balance". ??

And as far as the staining goes, I have not experienced any problems with staining, all I get is a very clean sanitary toilet bowl.

• twelvepole
    17 years ago

Toilet manufacturers do not recommend the in-tank cleaners as they tend to cause deterioraton of the flapper and inner workings of the tank. The leaking was resolved when you removed the 'apparatus' because it displaced the water and raised the water level so that it ran into the overflow.

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

I experienced the exact issues that KT did. I am pretty familiar with the workings of the tank and have replaced the innards numerous times over the years.

• billiel
    17 years ago

I have never heard of this product...please don't tell me I've been living undaer a rock Where do you get this...possibly WalMart???

Billie

• hey_starfish
    17 years ago

I purchased mine at a Menards store on sale for about $6.

I think that "elsie80"'s may have one or possibly several things wrong going on.

1. The calcium, copper, manganese or iron levels in their water supply may be too high. The chlorine in this product may have caused a chemical reaction with the minerals in the water supply resulting in a stain. Removing this chlorinator stopped this reaction. This problem is local and not caused by the cleaner.

2. The water hose that attaches to the inside of the fill pipe was misrouted so now the chlorinated water is entering the tank and not the bowl. Maybe the device wasn't even clipped to the tank above the water line?

3. If it is true that the water is like was stated earlier leaking into the bowl constantly, it shows a problem with the fill valve or float. The new hose and cleaner device could be too long altogether and some how it is putting pressure on the fill valve or is disturbing the action of the float so it continues to attempt to fill the bowl. This is a universal fit device that might require a slight modification in some circumstances. They could have shortened this hose by cutting it for a better fit with a pair of scissors if needed.

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

#3 is the first "fix" that I tried.

Starfish, Thanks for taking the time to give input.

• scott4260
    17 years ago

I have a problem. I didn't have a refill tube to remove. I hooked up the never scrub like the video showed. No water flows through it. Any idea of what is going on here?

• annediamond
    16 years ago

I've used and installed kaboom never scrub on a few toilets and they have been working fine. I'm very happy with the results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaboom Never Scrub

• jannie
    16 years ago

My plumber told me never to use in-tank cleaners or deodorizers. They rust out the mechanical and rubber parts of the toilet plumbing in the tank. He says clean frequently but then flush.

• kljoyce
    16 years ago

Jannie, since the NeverScrub chemicals never go in the tank and only enter and leave the bowl, the mechanical and rubber parts in the tank should never be "rusted out".

My question is this: Does anyone know if the chemicals are toxic? Sometimes my dog drinks the toilet water and I wouldn't want to accidentally poison her! Couldn't even find a listing of the active ingredients on the KaBoom web site!

• rassd71
    16 years ago

Hello,
    I'm having the same problem as 'scott4260'. My toilet doesn't use a fill tube, the water flows out of the bottom of the fluidmaster and fills the tank. Is there an adjustment I can make to the fluidmaster to make it work? Sorry for using a brand name, but that's all I've ever heard them called by.

Oh, and as for pets, the package says...

"Bowl water not harmful to children or pets. However, it is not recommended that pets regularly drink water from the toilet."

And the contents: 3-Dichloro-5, 5-dimethylhydantion.

I hope that helps,

Robert aka rassd71

• cynic
    16 years ago

"Bowl water not harmful to children or pets. However, it is not recommended that pets regularly drink water from the toilet."

I'd not recommend that children regularly drink water from the toilet either! :)

And as far as getting all worked up over cleaners destroying the toilet, I replaced a cracked rubber flap plug (whatever it's called) on a 35 year old toilet after using cleaners, including bleach for 20+ years. Big whoopie deal. I'd rather have a (relatively) clean toilet than worrying about a five minute, $5 repair job every 35 years! Let's be realistic, having that crud in there causes problems too, so take your pick.

I've seen these types of cleaners, have wondered about them. Maybe I'll try one out for $5 if I can get it for that.

• loralee_2007
    16 years ago

I do ALL the cleaning in our house, and out of all the chores to do, toilet scrubbing is DEFINITELY the chore I detest the MOST!

I've had these installed in all 4 of our toilets for 2.5 months now and I've NEVER since had to scrub one of them! Hallelujah!! I've told all my friends about these as they work just as claimed (not to mention the Scrubbing Bubbles Auto Shower Cleaners I am also now using in my 3 showers lol).

Chores have greatly lessened now that I use these products and I can get in and out of each bathroom in around 5 minutes.

Heaven I tell you!

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Isn't anyone turned off by the odor of the chemicals used in this product? DH and I couldn't stand it! It worked but sheese, it wasn't worth the smell.
    Monica

• askannediamond
    16 years ago

I've been using kaboom never scrub for a while now and I've not had a problem with it. My toilet is cleaner than ever!

Here is a link that might be useful: kaboom never scrub

• yorkygates
    15 years ago

Thank you for the great and simple write up. I've been seeing this product all over the tv and the internet lately so I decided to try it. It works great, and is very simple and easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaboom Never Scrub Refills

• kaboom
    14 years ago

There are product reviews on Kaboom NeverScrub and Kaboo Scrub Free at http://www.kaboomrefills.com.

If you have any questions, it's a great place to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaboom Reviews & Refills

• graywings123
    14 years ago

The last three posters are spammers.

• oldvinyl_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Buy a pound of sulfamic acid for about $4 on EBay and dilute it to 10% with water, add a dash of washing up liquid, and you've got Kaboom at about a tenth of the price charged by those a-h*les. Wake up consumers you are being financially raped!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clive Warner