Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Discoloring bathroom shower grout, cleaning?

Posted by motifone (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 17:58

Hi All. So our shower stall is about 6 months old. The whitish grout is showing signs of darkening toward the bottom area of the stall wall. Almost looks like stains or mildew. Whatever it is, seems to be spreading. Cleaning with bleach seems to have no effect. It doesn't seem to be a stain simply on the surface.

Any ideas what it is or causing it? Don't think any shampoos are doing it.

How might I go about cleaning it? Any heavy duty grout cleaners? I do not believe the grout is sealed.

Pics:

http://tinypic.com/r/2a8i0cm/3
http://tinypic.com/r/2gxoev5/3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Discoloring bathroom shower grout, cleaning?

It looks like it needs a good cleaning with a brush. Any number of products will work; I prefer something like Softscrub with Bleach or Comet Spray Gel Mildew Stain Remover. The scrubbing action with a brush or scrubbie should do the trick. Ventilating the area with a small fan placed on the floor and blowing into the shower stall should help slow down future mold.

Here is a link that might be useful: first pic

o

Hmm ok I'll try again. I have tried using a grout brush on it with bleach and barkeeper's friend. Can't seem to remove anything though.

o

The bleach and barkeeper's friend should have taken care of it, as long as you gave the bleach some time to work on the mildew. Maybe try the Comet Gel - it has bleach in it and the gel should help it adhere to the grout. Spray it on and let it sit there for 5 minutes or so, but start scrubbing before it dries. Then rinse.

o
Another idea

Another thing you can do is mix a bleach and water solution in a spray bottle - maybe 3 parts water to 1 part bleach. Then spray it on the grout and leave it. By the next day, the grout should be white. Avoid overspray and drips on anything this strong bleach solution might damage, such as metal fixtures or a fiberglass tub.

o

Clorox Bleach Pen is awesome for this. Leave it on a long time.

If that doesn't work, there may be a crust of hard water deposit that prevents the bleach from penetrating and killing the mildew. If so, you have to remove that first, THEN kill the mildew.

I SO hate my shower grout.

o

It definitely requires an professional to clean grout as it is quite strong and using different products can lead to any bad impact on whole area..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here