Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Nasty sink gasket

violetwest
10 years ago

It's the grossest thing ever -- I don't even want to touch it. I'm curious to know how you guys clean it, and how often.

I'm talking about the rubber gasket covering the sink drain to the dispose-all.

Comments (18)

• emma
    10 years ago

I just use a soapy dishrag and reach in and up and wipe it until the rag comes away clean. It is nasty. You should see the inside of a water pipe after years of use. It's a wonder we get any water out and survive drinking the water.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been scrubbing, soaking, and scrubbing again. Slippery devil.

• emma
    10 years ago

I never even thought about cleaning it until I started reading in here. I didn't realize it was coated with that stuff. I don't think there is anyway to get it real clean, just do the best you can.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    10 years ago

I stuck my hand down there to try to find a popcorn kernel that was in the garbage disposal and couldn't believe how gross that gasket thing gets.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got home and looked in my trusty MS "Homekeeping Handbook." It's not even in there -- maybe it's supposed to stay dirty, just . . . build up of gunk until there's a solid, impenetrable surface. lol!

• krissie55
    10 years ago

Buy a new toilet brush the right size for the sink and use it to scrub the gasket and top part of disposal. One with a slightly curved handle works best.

I use Palmolive dish detergent on the brush to scrub. Do this at least once a week. Easy to get into the habit, keep brush handy for the purpose. Use brush on sink only.

• jannie
    10 years ago

How about scrubbing with a paste of baking soda and water?

• emma
    10 years ago

Jannie soap and water will clean it...it's getting in every pleat and crevice. That is why I keep doing it until the cloth come up clean.

• krissie55
    10 years ago

Remember, all disposals do not come with removable gaskets.

Something to think about next time disposal needs replacing.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't realize that.

• Linda
    10 years ago

I use a bottle brush.

• eteinne
    10 years ago

Take a box cutter or a carpet knife and cut it off flap by flap. Be sure that you cut it as close to the circumference of the drain. Go to the hardware store and buy a removable one with a metal ring imbedded in the rubber so it will stay in place, and won't fall into the disposal. Problem solved! I run mine through the dishwasher, along with the regular strainer basket every time I run my dishwasher and U never have to touch the nasty thing again.

• krissie55
    10 years ago

I cut the flaps off of the gasket that is not removable, but the remaining part that is actually the seal for disposal gets gross as well as the upper lip of the disposal. A brush is still needed.

Also bought a gasket to drop in, did not work well, too stiff. Maybe it had been in the store too many years and dried out!

I prefer using the regular sink stopper/with holes as a cover when running the disposal. Off and on use a toilet brush to clean opening and lip area.

• emma
    10 years ago

I think the flaps are to keep things stuff from being thrown out of the disposal when in use. Mine didn't drain fast enough so I cut one flap from underneath, I wouldn't want to take anymore off.

• krissie55
    10 years ago

EmmaR,

You are right, the flaps help deflect stuff from flying out. However, I do not continuous feed the disposal anymore, put stuff in disposal and then put the regular sink stopper/strainer in place before turning on. This prevents stuff from flying out and water can flow into the disposal.

In my case I have a choice of hiring a plumber to take the disposal out and put a new flap seal or replace the almost new disposal to a tune of many bucks. Either way would be expensive. That is why I resorted to the sink strainer/stopper.

I will make sure to choose the next disposal with a removable seal/flap.

• emma
    10 years ago

I just shove some food down the hole and hold a solid sink stopper slightly above it for the first go, then remove it and feed more stuff to it. It seems that when you first turn it on it is really powerful, then calms a bit. I think it would be the last thing I would do without in my kitchen.

My first husband was a plumber and he said the most important thing for operating a disposal was to run quite a bit water after it's turned off to wash the food out of the trap.

• breenthumb
    10 years ago

I keep old toothbrushes under the sink for that type of thing. Also need to use it for the sink stopper with a long neck that plugs the other side of double sink.