Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swedish Finish floor maitenance? Help!

Posted by Tessinseattle (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 17:04

I'm a new home owner of a lovely house that I don't want to destroy with my ignorance of proper cleaning/maintenance techniques. I'm the product of hippy parents w/ loose, to say the least, standards for this sort of thing so I could really use some sound advise from an expert. What you're looking at here are lovely swedish (I think) finish floors. Help. Tell me how not destroy these. Some online advice says vinegar and water while others say avoid water at all costs and vinegar dulls. Help! THANK YOU, in advance. I'm hopelessly unprepared for so nice a home. I will be posting multiple threads so people can reply to each concern individually.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swedish Finish floor maitenance? Help!

I lived for 20 years in a home with Glista (sp?) finished floors: maple, birch, and oak. They were gorgeous! They had been refinished just before I moved in. I was told to use just a little water (ie. damp rag, well wrung out) and, if needed, a tiny bit of white vinegar. That's what I did every so often, and the floors were still gorgeous when I moved out.

o

You might also try what I've used for 31 years on my oak/polyurethane floors: Bona Kemi. They make two good products I like-1. the Cleaner and 2. The Floor Finish. Apply with a damp mop. Some people here hate Bona Kemi, say it leaves a dulling film. I have not found so. I recently hosted a party in my home and prepared by doing the floors with BK. They were so shiny my SIL asked if I'd had them re-finished!

o

I have a kitchen floor with Glitsa Finish. They make a cleaner for the floor - Glitsa Clean - that can be bought as a concentrate. Put it in a spray bottle and add distilled water. I use that for cleaning. I was told to stay away from any product that was OIL BASED because that would make it impossible to do spot refinishing later.

I also see that Libman makes a spray mop that can be used with your own cleaner.

o

I believe that is the flooring I had in my previous home. It was Kahrs flooring and I had the American Cherry, which is what yours looks like. 1 gallon of water and 1 cup vinegar works fine.
Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here