Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protect Floor from heavy

Posted by wwwonderwhiskers (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 16:20

Hello. We're a few weeks away from moving into a new construction. The floor in most places will be site-finished white oak, and I have a questions.

We're having the home-office on the main floor, and I imagine heavy nasty filing cabinets in there somewhere. Does anyone have any recommendations what is the best thing to put between the filing cab & the hardwood floor? Upside down carpet remnant cut-to-fit? That is my first instinct... please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protect Floor from heavy

That's what I would use...or perhaps a piece of that clear plastic carpet protector, if it comes large enough.
Linda c

o

I would use a small rug. They make bases for regular size file cabinets. It has wheels and is can be moved when necessary. I have my office in a bedroom and I have a small file cabinet that looks like a nice piece of furniture. If I still had the metal one I would keep it in the closet.

o

Please do not put plastic of any kind under furniture or filing cabinets. Plastic can draw sap from the wood floor and make it sticky.

This happened to drawers in my new house bathroom.

Plastic chair mats for office chairs might do the same thing. The plastic mats are o.k. on tile floors or carpet.

o

Definitely upside down carpet. Will also be a cinch to move for cleaning purposes :) DH is a carpet installer. I have it under my one filing cabinet in the office :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here