Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Scorched microwave

Posted by cymraes (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 15:48

We hired a house/pet sitter last weekend who burned (very badly) a bag of popcorn in my new microwave. The sides are scorched and I can't get rid of the smell. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Scorched microwave

I did that to my microwave. It turned the whole inside yellow. I think I put baking soda inside to try to absorb the smell, and I wiped it out really well. The color never changed, but the smell eventually did go away. Micro still works fine.

RE: Scorched microwave

Stick a bowl of vinegar and water in there and let it boil for about 3-5 minutes, just to loosen up as much as possible. Then give it a good scrub with a paste of vinegar and salt. Rinse.

Wet down some paper towels with bleach and stick them to the scorch marks. They'll stay put. Leave them for several hours. Rinse thoroughly.

Stick some lemon slices in a bowl of water and let it boil for 3-5 minutes. Don't open the door, just let them sit for a few hours to really freshen things up.

I've read (but not personally tried) that acetone-free nail polish remover will remove it faster than the bleach.

RE: Scorched microwave

Thanks, I'll try your advice. I'm so mad at this woman, as this was a brand new microwave. :(

RE: Scorched microwave

Knew I could count on the GWers! Came home late this afternoon to discover that the DH had come home for lunch and burned (not just scorched) something in the microwave. He had cleaned up what he could before he had to go back to work, but the top and sides of teh mwave and the center of the glass turntable were black and the burned smell was awful. (He told me later that one of our salad plates was destroyed, too.) I made a bee-line for the computer and did a GW search which turned up this and other threads on the subject. Zapping a cup of vinegar then wiping out the mwave has removed most of the smell. I spread some soda on the turntable and have closed it up for the night hoping that it will absorb more. Tomorrow I'll get some acetone free nail polish remover recommended on the other threads. I'll test it on a small spot to see if it will clean the scorching without disolving the lining. ;-(

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here