Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction cooktop disaster......tip

Posted by krissie (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 15:32

Was making Rice Krispies Treats for grandchildren and forgot another bag of mini-marshmallows was on the cook top. Low and behold I unknowingly let the hot pot rest touching the bag of marshmallows. You guessed it, melted plastic and marshmallows, quite a gooey mess.

Wiping up the mess did not work, razor blade did not work. Finally I put soaking wet paper towels on the mess and let soak a few minutes. Was able to get most of the marshmallows off, but, plastic with writing was still on the stove top and on the pan side/bottom.

Used a paper towel and "Cook Top" cleaning Cream for Smooth Top Ranges. Peeled off as much plastic as possible and then used circular motion with the Cook Top cream to clean mess off the glass top. Worked great and no scratches on the cook top.

Repeated process on the large stainless steel pot, worked like a charm too.

Hope you never have to clean up a mess like the above!! If you do, remember the above solution to the problem!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction cooktop disaster......tip

Always happy to hear successful tips. When I have a mess like that, my first thought is to put a wet washcloth in the microwave, get it super hot, plunk it down over the mess and let the hot cloth do its' job. I've seen Cook Top cleaner in my local store, think I'll buy some just in case.

o

Beyond the marshmellow mess, how you like your induction cooktop, Krissie?

o

graywings,

My induction cook top is a Kenmore (Sears), not sure who makes it for them. I love using the induction cook top. Being retired and cooking for 2 instead of a family of 7 the induction works great for me, quick to heat, instant off. My husband claims the induction heats a cup of water in tea kettle faster than the microwave does.

Took a little time getting use to light pressure/warmth of finger turning on the burners. Our adult daughters hate our induction stove, they use gas and regular electric coil burners. If they would be patient and turn it on properly with light pressure they would be happy most likely. They frantically "punch" at the controls instead of light touching and then they get frustrated because it did not turn on.

Took time to get use to turning it on with only a light touch of the finger pressed down for a second or two.

It takes less time to cook a meal since all the heat goes into the pans and not into the air.

Certainly is a clean way to cook, no drip pans to clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here