Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I stained my toilet trying to clean it!

Posted by everydayclaire (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 15:09

I have white toilets; I believe they are porcelain, but I'm not sure (I'm a renter). A ring appeared in the toilets at the top of the water. I poured a bucket full of water into the toilet to get the water level very low. I used a scrubby sponge and Comet to remove the ring, which worked for the most part. But the scrubber wasn't scrubby enough to remove it 100%. I really hated to leave it not quite clean enough, so I used what I thought was steel wool on just a few small spots. I actually read the box afterward and it was a stainless steel cleaner from Brawny. It must have had chemical or product on it because even though the rest of the ring was removed, it left a gray stain in the toilet bowl. Interestingly enough, it only stained the bowl exactly where the water always is, not above. I tried more Comet to remove the gray stain which did not work. Then I tried bleach, which also did not work. I searched the internet and found nothing; apparently no one is as foolish as me! Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I stained my toilet trying to clean it!

Sounds like you scratched the porcelain coating on the toilet bowl. I've done the same thing. It's gray or silverish underneath. No way I know of fixing it. You may have to replace the toilet. Sorry.

o

For future reference, vinegar is a great remover of water rings caused by calcium, lime and rust build-up.

o

DH did the same thing when he was trying to unclog the toilet. Go to HD and buy "Barkeepers Friend". It's packaged similar to Comet. It works like a charm.

o

Barkeepers friend is the best thing since sliced bread and the wheel! I too scratched up my white bowl. the only thing that worked was this stuff, get it you wont be sorry!! All my marks have disappeared and the bowl looks new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here