Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help Me Simplify

Posted by pcanyon (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 15:02

I think my wife is obsessed with buying whatever new cleaning product arrives on the market. We literally have 70+ bottles, sprays, jars, cans, etc of cleaning stuff. It drives me nuts. And it's always the latest and greatest packaging.

I want to throw it all out and just have a few things for the cleaning ladies. And I would like to buy it on my regular trips to Costco. We have stainless steel sinks, granite counter tops, glass shower, ceramic tile floors and some wood floors. Very little carpet.

Is there a 3-4 item solution to cleaning the whole house and always buy it at Costco?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help Me Simplify

Vinegar and baking soda. the best there ever was and is.

o

Ask your cleaning crew what they use and what they don't, since they will be the ones using them. Donate what you don't want to the ASPCA or a homeless shelter. They are always glad to get cleaning products.

o

We literally have 70+ bottles, sprays, jars, cans, etc of cleaning stuff. . . I want to throw it all out and just have a few things for the cleaning ladies.

Why not make a concerted effort to use up the stuff you have now before buying even more? Although, I suspect that a lot of what you have are not really cleaning products per se. At our house, we seem to collect "clean and protect" products or "deep cleaning" products like Lime-Away, which are not the types of things you use weekly. May I suggest that you offer them to the cleaning ladies first and then post an ad in your local craigslist to see if anyone wants to take them off your hands.

But, to answer your question, here is what I use:

stainless steel sinks: Bar Keeper's Friend (or Soft Scrub);
granite counter tops: wipe with wet cloth;
glass shower: Comet Spray Bathroom Cleaner;
Ceramic tile floors: steam cleaning machine;
Wood floors: vacuum cleaner; occasionally a barely wet cloth.

You didn't ask, but:
Toilets: any toilet bowl cleaner and the disposable quick cleaning cloths;
Windows: a home-made concoction of water, vinegar, ammonia and cornstarch; and the bottled blue stuff for quick clean-ups
Bathroom sinks: Soft Scrub.

And also: microfiber cloths, purchased in a package of 25 in the Automobile section of Costco? Walmart?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here