Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Detailing car with vinyl (MB-tex) upholstery

Posted by bigdoglover (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 14:55

We are about to take delivery of a used, excuse me pre-owned Mercedes, and they are going to detail the interior, which is not leather but "MB-tex" (aka vinyl that looks a lot like leather.) I don't like the smell of the stuff they use -- too much perfume and petroleum smell.

Can anyone recommend something gentler for them to use to wipe down the seats, dash, etc.? It is not dirty, just needs to be wiped off from the former owner. I read somewhere that if you just use plain water it may make the vinyl crack later on.

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Detailing car with vinyl (MB-tex) upholstery

Pleather - plastic leather - is extremely durable - that's why they use it in the manufacture of car and boat seats. I've washed fake leather boat seats with water-based products. I suspect the car dealer just wants to use a product that he knows will work. Plain water isn't going to hurt the seats, but an all purpose cleaner in that water would work better.

o

A gentle cleaner , maybe cheap dollar store shampoo, added to water. Think about it-cows walk in the rain, shoes and womens purses get wet, yet leather lasts forever.

o

Thank you graywings and jannie, that's what we'll do.

And yes, in my opinion there is nothing like real leather for beauty, feel, and durability. If I were ordering just what I wanted that's what I'd get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here