Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet Bowl Cleaning

Posted by gitananoel (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 14:45

How do you clean the inside of a toilet bowl where a grey colored ring won't go away.
It is a toto and only one year old.
It is the drake model.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet Bowl Cleaning

Use a pumice stick. Cheap, effective, no fumes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumice stick

o

Thanks for the tip.

Anybody else have an idea what to do?
It is always good to get several opinions on th same subject.

o

Thanks for the tip.

Anybody else have an idea what to do?
It is always good to get several opinions on th same subject.

o

I second the pumice stick--always works for me! Same for the rings around the faucet.

o

I ran A ServiceMaster business and a commercial cleaning business for several years. The best way I found was to put two cups of bleach and two cups of liquid laundry soap in the bowl and let set over night. Make sure that the soap is above the ring in the toilet. Clean with regular brush. We cleand bowls that was not cleaned in several years using this method. If you use a pumice stick, make sure to keep it wet or you can scratch the bowl.
Good luck
Gary

o

You can find pumice sticks in drug stores; they are used for pedicures. I got one at my local Rite Aid and it works great on stains. But don't rub too hard, you can get permanent black scratches on the porcelain if you treat it too rough. Been there, done that. By the way, we've had our Toto since 2005. It needed one repair about a year ago, the internal "flapper" broke. Other than that, it's worked fine and I do recommend Toto to anyone planning a toilet installation.

o
RE: Toilet Bowl Cleaning & Clogs

Another vote for the pumice stick!

For unclogging when heavy duty flanged plungers failed:

Hot(1), dish soapy(2), water suddenly poured(3) from a two gallon bucket from high up a ladder(4) combined four methods into one that has always saved calling the plumber to our house. Although sometimes had to repeat a few times...

o

Pumice stick here, too.

o

We live in one of those desert western suburban communities where the water has a lot of boron. Most cleaners don't remove boron.

I have used the pumice as described above. Auto parts stores have some very fine auto refinishing emery paper that also works.

Recently I have discovered that a toilet bowl cleaner with "bleach" followed by a tolet bowl cleaner with "oxy" (Let the first set awhile and then add the second without rinsing between.) seems to be working if used frequently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here