Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reeny_gw

Is the Ladybug worth it?

reeny
15 years ago

I am seriously considering buying a ladybug steamer to clean my grout. I know they are not cheap but I would be willing to pay the price if it was worth it - does anyone have one and use it for grout?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)

• graywings123
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't have a Ladybug, but in general, I think the higher end steamers are worth it if you have a lot of area to cover. Which model of the Ladybug steamers are you planning to buy?

I started using my steamer when my grout was clean and sealed. Just my opinion, but I would probably use a chemical method to clean the grout, then seal it, then use the steamer on the ceramic tile and grout to maintain it.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

I have a Ladybug and I don't think it's terribly effective on really grungy bathroom grout. In fact, I think the whole idea of steam cleaning is hugely over-promoted.

But I do like my 'Bug and wouldn't want to part with it for a couple of uses. I don't have a self-cleaning oven and it's quite effective (and enormously less ghastly) than than fumey-oven cleaners at getting off routine grease. I also really like it for heavy cleaning of my plaster walls and ceilings, I wouldn't use it on dry-wall, though. It is particularly effective at stopping mold and mildew in its tracks.

I find vinegar much more effective and far less trouble for cleaning up water spots on fixtures and shower walls. I think the idea of steaming one's toothbrush with the appliance you use to clean the toilet is truly gross, so I've never tried it.

The 'Bug isn't very effective at cleaning cotton or linen upholstery, nor does it do much to perk up wool or silk oriental rugs. I have no w/w carpets of synthetics so I have no idea what it does there.

You can do a quick, light, cleaning of painted woodwork with a 'Bug, but you have to be careful as you can lift the paint right off (which is some circs. is a good thing - you can use the steamer to strip woodwork, too.)

I have done a bit of cleaning on my wood floors (old, unfinished, wide-plank, pumpkin pine), but this is more in the line of restoration than routine cleaning. I imagine it would work rather nicely on tile, vinyl, and possibly laminate flooring, but I have none of those.

I once steamed the inside of a car and it did a pretty good job of getting out a smokey smell.
    I also use it to disinfect, well, really just to sanitize, animal cages and crates of which I have a big need as I do animal rescue. I have heard of bird-owners using it instead of cleaning chemicals which can easily kill birds.

I like it that the machine doesn't leave the surfaces wet, but it does certainly raise the overall room humidity, something to think about if you live in a really humid climate, or as I do in a climate where it's very cold and excess humidity can be a real problem when wet indoor air condenses on cold window sashes in the winter.

One of the things that isn't really obvious is that the steam doesn't really clean anything, you still have to wipe down the surfaces to remove the loosened dirt. This surprised me because I saw the cloth-wrapped nozzles and thought they would be doing the cleaning. They do do some, but it's the cloth in the other hand that really shifts the soil.

I bought several dozen of the white towels much more cheaply at an auto-parts store than from 'Bug dealers, though you do have to watch the sizes at WalMart or Autoworld.

And you can get a painful steam burn, if you're not careful.

Overall I do like my 'Bug, but I was surprised at all the things it doesn't do that I was expecting. BTW, I saved a lot of money by buying an "open box" machine that had been returned, checked out and then offered for sale. You might ask your retailer (I bought mine on-line) if they have any open box ones. Mine works perfectly.

HTH,

Molly~

• PaulaSims
    15 years ago

Thanks Molly -- appreciate the insight. I think you just saved me $2000.00.

Paula