Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinyl floors and steam

Posted by wearybuilder (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 13:29

We have vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms and laundry room. I was ready to "go for it" and get one of the steam mops, until I read that the steam can mess up vinyl floors. I contacted the store, and they said warm water only.

How do I decide? Trust the steamers that say they are safe for vinyl or trust the store and stay away to avoid problems down the road?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinyl floors and steam

It seems to me that it is a matter of how hot the steam actually is when it is reaching the vinyl flooring and how much steam is being applied to seams.

The higher end steamers heat the water to around 300 degrees F, and the steam coming out is around 250 degrees. It goes through a pad before reaching the floor, and that further reduces the temperature.

The makers of the (less expensive) steam mops don't give any information about the water temperatures in their products, but the assumption is that the temperature is lower.

I imagine that you could destroy vinyl flooring with too much heat or too much steam. But there is lots of anecdotal information on the internet that steam mops, when used as intended, don't harm vinyl floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here