Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Textured Tile Floor -- how to clean

Posted by marymt (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 13:08

We had our kitchen floors done in a porcelain tile that has a textured surface. It doesn't clean easily with a Wet Jet because of the texture. I have to get on hands and knees for a full day to scrub. I searched the forums and see recommendations for steam cleaners, but my questions are these:
1. I feel that in order to get into the textured surface, I need scrubbing brushes, not just steam; The steamers seem to work on hot water alone. Anyone have experience with textured tile?
2. The steamers I could find reviews for (Bissell, Hoover) all raved about how they cleaned their carpets. Do these machines work equally as well on carpet as on a hard surface? Or are you using a different steamer for tile?
3. Target sells a cleaner from Koblenz that appears to be designed for hard floors, but there are no reviews for it and I find nothing in the forums here. Anyone know anything about them?

I'm going to post this on the flooring forum as well....

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Koblenz cleaner at Target

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Textured Tile Floor -- how to clean

Wet jets are NO good for floor. Get a scrub brush with a broom handle and a good wet dry vac to clean your floors. That is what I do.

o

1. I feel that in order to get into the textured surface, I need scrubbing brushes, not just steam; The steamers seem to work on hot water alone. Anyone have experience with textured tile?

My kitchen ceramic tile is textured. The steam cleaner gets it clean. My theory is that by using just steam, I'm not leaving soap residue in the texture, and thus it seems to stay pretty clean.

2. The steamers I could find reviews for (Bissell, Hoover) all raved about how they cleaned their carpets. Do these machines work equally as well on carpet as on a hard surface? Or are you using a different steamer for tile?

As far as I am concerned, steamers for carpets and steamers for tile floors are two different products. The Bissell and Hoover steamers use some type of cleaning product to clean the rug. They call them steamers because they heat the water, but they don't work like a true steam vapor cleaner.

o

marymt - I have the same problem. We have a beige textured porcelain tile kitchen. I was looking at the Bissell and Hoover floor cleaners too. I want a machine with 2 tanks that scrubs and then vacuums up the water. I thought that getting one with brushes would help keep the grout clean.

I'm going to buy one and give it a try. I just need to select one.

o

marymt, I have textured tile too and I wish I didn't. I like the smooth..shiny tile much better. Anyway, I use the shark steam mop and it gets the tiles clean but doesn't get to the grout. I've been contemplating one of those scrubbers that vacumns up the water also but haven't decided yet.

o

I've got textured tile in my kitchen too. I've had two Floormates, which supposedly suck up the dirty water. They work fairly well--but the Floormate itself hasn't lasted. That's two of them in about 5 years. I won't be getting a third.

o

Davisgard, which FloorMate did you get? I was about to get the H3060 (below) - it certainly LOOKS sturdy, but looks can be deceiving...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoover Floor Mate 3060

o

I had a Hoover Floormate I bought second-hand on ebay, hence no guarantee. It worked great for about two months, then it stopped sucking the dirty water off the floor. Over $100 lost, and I threw the darned thing out. I now use a rewgular sponge mop, pail of water and Pinesol to wash my kitchen linoleum floor. Myy oak wood floors in the rest of my home, I use Bona Kemi and a damp microfibre cloth on my hand and knees. Labor intensive but it works for me.

o

Today at Walmart I found a sponge mop with a scrub brush on one side. Maybe these have been around for awhile but I've never seen one. I bought it and just used it on my textured tile and I really like it. The tiles are so clean! You mop and flip it over and scrub where needed, then mop up the dirty water and rinse. It's a little more work, but it looks so nice :-)

I'm not going to get a floor scrubber machine...I think it would be a pain to use...the good old mop & bucket is the way to go for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here