Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need special vacuum?

Posted by Hikem (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 13:00

I am living in a new house with a several floor types (tiles, carpets, especially the carpets in the kid's room are very dense). So far I've been reading about vacuum cleaners from various places but still not sure what to do. The people here http://vacuumconsult.com/ suggest that one canister vacuum can do just fine with everything because of the plenty attachments. I surely won't by a vac for every floor so I am willing to spend a little more and be sure that it will clean my whole house. Any help will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need special vacuum?

In my non-expert opinion, I think a canister vac with attachments is the way to go when you have various surfaces.

Personally, I found it tiring to have to lug a vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs a couple times a week and went with an upright vacuum upstairs where it was completely carpeted and a canister vac downstairs where I had a mix of hardwood, area rugs and tile.

o
RE: Do I need special vacuum?

Living in a new house with new carpet, you are going to find that you fill a canister bag VERY quickly. New carpets shed fibers for what seems like FOREVER. That being said, I'm super happy with the Shark I bought about 1 1/2 years ago. I have multiple kinds of surfaces too, and with just a switch of a button, it easily goes from carpet to tile or hardwood or linoleum. It seems to do equally well on both and it has not lost suction over the period of time I've owned it. I have an Aussie that sheds like crazy, and I've been through numerous vacuums. I don't think I'll ever buy anything but a Shark again, that's how impressed I am. They also have a wide selection, so you do have a choice on what will work for you. Mine is a lift-away (I think) and is very lightweight and maneuverable. I even bought one for my Mom (age 80) because she needed something to replace her clunky, too heavy canister. She LOVES it and the amount of dirt it picked up even after using her canister amazed her. It amazed me too! Hope this helps :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here