Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sticky stuff on painted wood kitchen table

Posted by mandogirl (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 12:41

Hi, everyone. My first post on the cleaning board!

We just moved into our new house. We let the sellers leave their kitchen table, knowing that it's nothing great but figuring it would serve until we can buy a new dining set and move the current dining room table to the kitchen.

The table they left is hefty wood, painted green (not shiny). The sellers' kids did craft projects on it. I don't mind the paint splatters here and there, but what I do mind is this very sticky stuff that covers most of the table. There is some glitter mixed in with it, so it's probably some kind of heavy duty craft glue. I've scrubbed with soap & water, abrasive scrubbie pads; I have yet to try 409 or something stronger because I don't want to remove too much of the painted finish. Any ideas? As I said, the table's nothing great, so I don't mind if some green paint comes off (just not all of it...looks like there's multiple layers).
I don't want to go to the trouble to strip and sand and repaint the thing. I just want it not to be sticky so my plastic placemats don't stick to it.

I'd appreciate any ideas for what product(s) to use.

thanks!
- mando

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sticky stuff on painted wood kitchen table

Have you tried Goo Gone or some WD-40? They will remove sticker goo but not the paint. 409 removes paint in my experience. Furniture polish like Liquid Gold, etc will sometimes work, too.

o

You might try rubbing it down with mineral spirits or lighter fluid, which I find removes lots of stuff from surfaces. I wonder if Greased Lightening would do it too.

o

Thanks! I'll try WD-40 or lighter fluid as I know we have both on hand. If those don't work I'll see about buying some Goo Gone or Greased Lightning.

o

I would wipe it down with mineral spirits.

o

I use De-Solve It- think I paid $3.49 for a 12 ounce bottle...a lot less than Goo Gone. It lasts a long, long time even tho' I use it quite a bit. Don't cha' just hate the icky sticky residue left when you remove a label?

Suzi

o

I'd spray with Greased Lightning, then rub with steel wool (or brillo).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here