Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stains on veneer

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 12:40

Posted this on the Kitchens forum but did not get any action, so I figured this might be a better place to ask. :-)

I have slab maple-veneered cabinet fronts. I have only had them for 3 months and I have been trying to be very careful and clean them after each use. I just found several stains on them. Two - I am pretty sure - are from the tile install back in April. I cleaned after the tile guy every night but somehow missed these - probably b/c they are close to the floor and are very visible only from a certain angle. Another one is an aftermath of baking red velvet cupcakes a few days ago using a store bought mix which had some very red artificial (I think) coloring. I didn't notice that some of it spilled on the edge of the bottom drawer. It is right in the seam between the edge banding tapes.

All my attempts to remove them using damp Mr Clean or microfiber cloth have failed. I even tried a blue Scotch-Brite pad. I am afraid to scrub too hard b/c the veneer is fragile.

What can I do to remove the stains?

Also, how do you keep your veneered cabinets or furniture stain-free (if you have them)?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stains on veneer

Hubby, the "cabinet master" (38-years in the industry and CKD) suggested taking the drawer with the stain on it, or the other stained portion (if possible) to Sherwin Williams Paint Store and ask them for suggestions. Some possible products may include paint thinner, lacquer thinner, acetone, or Xyelol. It will depend on the type of top-coat finish used.

-Grainlady

o
RE: Stains on veneer

Thank you so much!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here