Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire44_gw

Going rate for a house cleaner?

claire44
13 years ago

Hello all,

I'm seeking any information anyone can share with me in regards to how much I could expect to pay to have my house cleaned, either professionally or done by an independent person (maybe a college student or out of work mother). I've always done it myself, but free time these days just seems less and less so maybe this will help.

Thanks for all comments and help!

Comments (7)

• jeri
    13 years ago

This is a hot topic around here. I have a thread below "Not Happy with House Cleaner" where we did discuss rates a bit. I was paying $17.50 per hour for 4 hours, so my cleaning lady was paid $70.00 cash every week. I felt this was generous and was floored when she told me the new rate was $30.00 an hour. I let her go.

The best advice for you is to ask around. Ask your friends and neighbors if they have help and what they pay. If you are comfortable with what they are paying and they like their cleaner, then use that person.

• westvillager
    13 years ago

With no national suggested retail price, it's about what you think is a good value (cost, quality). I know it seems like it might help, but getting caught up in an hourly rate discussion is tricky. There's simply too many factors (geography, size of home, weekly basics or added stuff, etc.)

Do a Google search for examples in your area and get a quote from a local cleaning company. Someone may have comparable experiences. Definitely talk to your neighbors or an office/place of business you frequent for a referral. I found mine from a friend who found her on Angie's List.

jeri's advice to ask everyone you know is good, in my opinion, but sounds like her cleaner could/needed to make more elsewhere? Regardless, it was no-brainer that it wasn't a good fit. It's worth the prep time to find a person who works out for you.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I pay $90 for about 2500 sq ft house every two weeks. This is an individual not a company. I got a referral from a neighbor and have used the same person for about 15 years. I don't know how much per hour because I'm not there. I think It probably takes her about 3-4 hrs.

• primorosa
    13 years ago

I live in michigan and I have just start advertise. I will be charging from $65-$90 depending on extras please email me at preinosa@gmail.com I live in southwest Michigan and can travel to southbend IN, or Holland MI and surrounding areas. I am a christian lady who is supporting her husband through seminary, you can feel safe with me. I am also realiable and honest.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I spoke with a friend who cleans houses. She chareges $100 for a full-house cleaning that takes her 2 to 4 hours. She visits most of her clients once every 2 weeks. So that's at least $25 an hour.

• LAS23
    13 years ago

I just checked Maid Brigade and they want $388 plus tax to clean my 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house, 2200 sq feet. They said the minimum charge is $45 per hour per person, for two people for two hours. I told them to have a nice day. So, I am cleaning my own house.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I've heard different opinions from family memners and friends on house cleaners. My Mom had one who moved things around, broke fragile items and hid them. My friend Melanie had one who required her to be out of the house while she cleaned.Another Another friend hired a crew for his mother. They stole from her and didn't even speak English. My SIL has one and is very happy. Seems the majority don't like their house cleaner(s). I don't like the idea of a professional company, since their price builds in their own fee, and you have no idea how werll they pay their staff. I have a friend who cleans houses, she charges $100 for four hours work. She even gives her clients small Christmas gifts, like a soap dish for the bathroom.