Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paucie

Simplicity Verve or back to Miele?

paucie
15 years ago

We're playing musical vacuum cleaners. We recently moved into a new home where we have lots of hardwood and area rugs. We're using our old Sebo upstairs on the frieze we installed in the bedrooms, but need something for the first floor.

First, DH came home with the Miele Antares. I've never used canisters, but I really liked this one. However, it just didn't seem powerful enough on the rugs. We have a Lab that sheds a full coat daily, and an 11-month old daughter who is crawling all over the house. So, the ability to pick up pet hair is crucial in whatever we get.

Next, DH traded the Antares for the Simplicity Verve. It's only slightly more expensive than the Miele, but I think the design is much less desirable. I'm finding that it cleans really well (I only found one dog hair on DD this morning!), but it's bulky and cumbersome. Oh, and heavy! Much heavier than the Miele.

Soooooo, do we need to go back and upgrade again? I don't think DH really wants to spend another $3-500 on a higher-end Miele, although I would be willing to if I knew it would clean as well as the Simplicity Verve.

Or, do we just stick with the Verve and bulk up?

Comments (3)

• geguymw
    15 years ago

"Next, DH traded the Antares for the Simplicity Verve. It's only slightly more expensive than the Miele, but I think the design is much less desirable. I'm finding that it cleans really well (I only found one dog hair on DD this morning!), but it's bulky and cumbersome. Oh, and heavy! Much heavier than the Miele".

You are comparing Tangarines to Oranges-their size. The Antares can be compared to the Simplicity Jill or possibly the Jack. The Verve is a larger vacuum cleaner that could be better compared to the Miele S5 series. The deluxe power nozzle on the Simplicity Verve can be closely compared to the Miele deluxe power nozzle SEB 236. The 236's are used on the more expensive Mieles.

The Verve is not really that heavy of a vacuum cleaner unless you are comparing it to the subcompact Jill or subcompact Miele S4 series. Just lift up the Simplicity S38 or S38. The Verve is very easy to move around. It uses 4 swivel casters. The hose is longer than Miele's also.

The Simplicity Verve is a very good vacuum cleaner that is going to clean very well. That power nozzle does a great job of cleaning carpeting, as you have already seen.

Here is something else to look at. The cost of the Simplicity bags are going to cost less than the Miele bags. The Simplicity filter will cost less than the Miele filter.

• lucky51
    15 years ago

If weight is a problem but not cost (they are not cheap) check out the SEBO K3 series with the ET-1 Powerhead. the body is only 12 lbs! Fantastic little machine with a great powerhead!

• techphet
    15 years ago

DW and I were trying to decide between the Miele S5 Callisto and the Simplicity Verve. We chose the Verve.

The Miele may have slightly better filtration. It conforms to the European standard EN 1822 (I can not find anything stating that the Verve does). It also is certified first grade by an asthma/lung association in the US but I am unsure of the name of the organization or details about the certification. The Verve does meet S-class filtration standards.

The Verve seems easier to handle, the wand stands without needing to be attached to the canister, and the hose doesn't bind (it rotates at the wand and at the canister).

The Miele is quieter but at a cost of usability and a few hundred more dollars. The Verve would vacuum your frieze while the Callisto would not. The Capricorn S5 would handle your frieze but now we're talking about yet another couple hundred dollars.

Sounds to me like the Verve is your best bet. I think we're going to be happy with it. I will admit, even thought it is a canister, the powerhead is more difficult to push around than the inexpensive uprights I have used in the past but I don't mind a little bit of extra exercise.

Tech

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm