Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larryfine_gw

Why Green Cleaning?

larryfine
13 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm just wondering what are some of the main reasons you decided to start "green" cleaning your home? I'm thinking about starting and would like to know why everyone else started. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I find strong fumes irritating to my respiratory system. I use a lot of the "Method" cleaners. No bad fumes. some actually have a pleasant fragrance, almost like fresh fruit. I also like the idea that when I rinse cleaners down the drain or toilet, I'm not adding to pollution.

• larryfine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you ever make your own cleaners? And what are "Method" cleaners? I'm not familiar with those?

• larryfine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone else care to share why they went green?

• jannie
    13 years ago

The only "homemade" cleaner I use is one cup water, one cup hydrogen peroxide, a tablespoon of liquid dish detergent (I use Dawn). Mix in a container, it will foam up a lot. Use a scrub brush on carpeting. The "Method" is a brand name, not a book or a specific recipe. I use their toilet bowl cleaner and stainless steel cleaner. The toilet cleaner is made with mint and eucalyptus. Smells fantastic! They have a website : methodhome dot com. But I buy the products in my local grocery store. I'm not advertising, just giving my opinion and personal experience.

• djsaw
    13 years ago

I started using green cleaning products because I kept getting migraines from the smells everytime I cleaned. I make my own cleaners because it's cheaper. I basically use 3 different cleaners. I pour vinegar into a spray bottle and fill it up to the 1/10th line and the fill the rest with water. I use it for cleaning my kitchen and bathroom counters, mirrors, and windows. I buy at 69 cent bottle of vinegar and I usually get about 10 bottles of cleaner out of it if not more. That makes each bottle of cleaner 6 cents, can't beat that.

The next cleaner I use is a combination of baking soda and regular dish soap mixed to a toothpaste like consistancy. I use this for scrubbing the inside of my pots and pans, I don't use it on nonstick, and I also use it for scrubbing the soap scum off my tub. Then I make some disinfectant wipes out of paper towels, 1 part water, 1 part vinegar and a couple of drops of tea tree oil.

I steam mop my floors and dry dust my wood furniture. I haven't found a furniture polish recipe I like. Most recipes I have tried leave it too oily for my liking. I do however, use Pledge on my stainless steel. It is the only thing that I have found the works on the finger prints, much better than vinegar or water.

• djsaw
    13 years ago

I started using green cleaning products because I kept getting migraines from the smells everytime I cleaned. I make my own cleaners because it's cheaper. I basically use 3 different cleaners. I pour vinegar into a spray bottle and fill it up to the 1/10th line and the fill the rest with water. I use it for cleaning my kitchen and bathroom counters, mirrors, and windows. I buy at 69 cent bottle of vinegar and I usually get about 10 bottles of cleaner out of it if not more. That makes each bottle of cleaner 6 cents, can't beat that.

The next cleaner I use is a combination of baking soda and regular dish soap mixed to a toothpaste like consistancy. I use this for scrubbing the inside of my pots and pans, I don't use it on nonstick, and I also use it for scrubbing the soap scum off my tub. Then I make some disinfectant wipes out of paper towels, 1 part water, 1 part vinegar and a couple of drops of tea tree oil.

I steam mop my floors and dry dust my wood furniture. I haven't found a furniture polish recipe I like. Most recipes I have tried leave it too oily for my liking. I do however, use Pledge on my stainless steel. It is the only thing that I have found the works on the finger prints, much better than vinegar or water.

• dianach
    13 years ago

First of all: commercial cleaners are full of dangerous, toxic chemicals. Read the product label and search for the ingredients on the Internet. I just wanted to use safer and cheaper products. Safer for my health and for the environment. Basically I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning and organic tea tree essential oil to disinfect surfaces in the bathroom and in the kitchen. As guideline I use an iPhone app named Green Shine

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Shine