Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Rid of Dust Mites - Borax - Need Quick Answer

Posted by rachelrachel (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 11:22

My friend thinks this house is over-run with dust mites and he feels itchy whenever he goes into certain rooms.

I have just been de-flea'ing my carpeted house with vacuming well, Borax powder, and a flea killer/pyretherins spray on the edges.

Would this treatment remove dust mites if he treated his house the same?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Rid of Dust Mites - Borax - Need Quick Answer

I meant to write HIS house not this house

o

I don't think so. Most treatments for reducing dust mites involve washing the items in hot water or sealing up mattresses and pillows with casings.

The companies that sell steam cleaners suggest using them to kill dust mites. That might be an option for him for sofas and chairs.

o

I would spray with Bissell Allergen or something like that.
I do wash bedspreads and sheets and pillows with Borax.

Read about it here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22dust+mites%22+borax&start=10&sa=N

CDO

o

I'd buy an inexpensive garden sprayer and dissolve the Dust Mite and Flea Control powder from National Allergy (link below), then spray every inch of carpet and upholstery in the house. It's safe and it lasts for months.

I don't like to spray pyrethrins in the house, and the Ecology Works solution dries to a powder that doesn't puff up and irritate my lungs when it dries. (I have asthma, and this is not troublesome for asthmatics.)

Since I've been using Frontline on my dogs, we've had no problems with fleas or ticks. It's a miracle!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dustmite And Flea Control by The Ecology Works

o

HELP! I vacum 3-4 times a week wash my linens weekly yet am being taken over by mites. Is there a safe for pets product I can buy in a local store or garden center?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here