Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning A Tile Floor Advice Needed

Posted by alameda (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 11:08

I have a fairly new tile floor. I mopped with using Lysol 3 in 1 cleaner in water a few weeks ago, thinking it would really clean the floor well. It made a greasy, slippery coating that I cannot remove - have tried vinegar and water, which I normally use [and which was recommended for the tile when it was installed]. I am afraid to put anything else on it for fear I will make it worse than it is. Not sure how to clean it at this point - any suggestions? Thanks!!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning A Tile Floor Advice Needed

A 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water works great on my porcelain tile.

Wet and squeeze excess water out of the mop then spray the alcohol mix on floor as you mop. Floors dry quicker too. No residue left on floor.

o

What kind of tile is it? Ceramic tile? Vinyl tile? Laminate tile?

o

It is a good quality ceramic tile. The alcohol/water sounds like a good suggestion. Would be welcome to any other ideas. Tile is slippery when wet anyway - a friend commented on how slick it was the other day - something in the Lysol has remained on the surface. Thanks for any ideas - and do plan to try the alcohol!
Judith

o

My favorite thing to clean ceramic tile with is a steam cleaner. It picks up the dirt, leaves no residue, and dries immediately.

If it is just one room of tile, a steam mop might be fine. If you have a lot of area to clean, a canister model will give you a larger tank. There are lots of threads on this forum about steam cleaning.

o

I also recommend a steam cleaner. I purchased a canister type for my basket weave marble bathroom floor. The grout became dirty and after many different attempts, the steamer is the only thing that works.

o

I tried the alcohol/water in spots and it seemed to do a good job. A Shark steamer was recommended to me - and I think this is something I want to get. I have a lot of tile - living room, dining room, hall and kitchen, so a steam cleaner sounds like it would be great - thanks! Anyone have any recommendations about what brand and what kind?
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here