Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I can't find source of fish-like odor in house.

Posted by ohguy (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 10:53

There is a fish-like smell that comes and goes periodically in the house. Sometimes we can smell it in the hall by the linen closet. Now we can smell it in the kitchen. I never cook fish inside, only outside on the grill, and it's been a couple months since I did that. We don't eat fish very often. It comes and goes any time of the year so I don't think it's weather related. I've cleaned every nook-n-cranny. I need ideas on what to do to find the cause.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I can't find source of fish-like odor in house.

Check your curtain rods. I hear ex-wives tend to leave dead fish in there.

o

rozilla - LOL!!! That was my first thought when I read this post. For those of you who haven't heard this story, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish smell in house

o

LOL That's the first thing I thought of too! We had the same problem only it was localized in one area of the kitchen and only when I vacuumed. My husband and I are allergic to fish so it couldn't be cooking odor. I thouhgt that maybe the cat had thrown up in that area and it had somehow gotten under the flooring (we had a laminate floor). We recently had to replace our kitchen floor and since the flooring was up we replaced the sub-floor where the odor was coming from. I started vacuuming the new sub-floor to get up any loose particles before the floor was put down and it started to smell! It wasn't the vacuum because I have different ones I use in the kitchen and they both caused the smell. We put the new floor down and I almost cried when the smell continued. Then one day it was gone. I don't know where it came from or where it went but I'm just grateful it's gone. I wish I could offer some advice but at least you know you're not alone. I hope yours disappears like mine did!

o

Do you have a crawl space under the house?

o

This sounds strange, but an electrical problem can be the source of a fish-like odor. Google "fish smell" and electric and you'll see quite a few hits.

o

Some wood smells really bad, maybe they used it as a subflooring. Sorry you are having this problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here