Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vacuum cleaners--The $300 challenge

Posted by jwats612 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 10:19

All,

We are shopping for a new upright vacuum. 4-5 yr old Kirby vacuums are available for about $300, would you buy this in place of a new one?

If not, what upright would you recommend? we have a mix of hardwood floors and carpeting. Light weight is not important

thanks

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vacuum cleaners--The $300 challenge

If I had the choice of purchasing a new Kirby or a 4-5yr. old Kirby, then Yes, I would purchase a slightly used model.

I am going to presume that you know of Kirby vacuum cleaners. In order to use the hose and attachments, you must remove the nose and attach the hose.

Also, this is a "fan-first" design, so dirt must pass through a fan before depositing into the dust bag. Users must be careful not to such up coins and rocks, which could cause fan damage.

If you purchase a Kirby, you will get a durable vacuum.

o

The Kirby is not what I would call a user friendly machine especially for attachment use. You might consider one of the new Riccar Vibrance models that I saw recently. They have a model that will do both carpets and flooring with the ability to shut off the roller. Motor bypass so nothing goes through the fan like the Kirby. I believe the model I saw was on sale for 299

o

I have a refurbished Electrolux canister that cost less than $300 and it's wonderful. If and when it dies, I'll buy another one just like it. It's so silly to pay full price for a good vac when you can get a refurbished one for so much less. My canister has a beater brush that will beat the tar out of carpet and a gentle attachment for hard surface cleaning. I have all hard surface flooring, but use the carpet attachment on the carpeted cat furniture and it does a wonderful job at getting the hair out of the carpet.

o

The Electrolux (Aerus) is a decent canister and works great on bare flooring but it still isnt a great carpet maching, no where near the agitation that a good upright will give you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here