Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disgusting Toaster Oven

Posted by simoneb (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 9:36

Help! My toaster oven is disgusting. I have tried cleaning the grate with everything from baking soda paste to steel wool and dish soap, but it is still black and gooey (thanks to some stuffed tomatoes that exploded--oops). The inside of the toaster has fared better than the great, but is also impossible to clean. I am really scared of those oven cleaners because they have toxic in big letters all over them and I worry I can't get it out of my little toaster well. Does anyone have a safe, but strong alternative? Or maybe a suggestion for a less toxic oven cleaner? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disgusting Toaster Oven

Replace it. It is safer to get a new one than to chance ruining this one or your health with chemicals. They are cheap enough that what you would spend on trying cleaners would cover the cost.

o
RE: Disgusting Toaster Oven

Replacing the toaster oven is one answer, but, have you priced them lately.

Today I went to several stores looking for a normal size toaster oven. Many were available but most did not have good ratings from users and were too large. The price of a toaster oven these days is high, many in the $60, 70, 80, 90 and over 100. Most are too large for a small area. I checked at Costco, Macy's, Khols, Target, TJMax, then finally at Wal-Mart.

Finally went to Wal-Mart and they had a Proctor Silex 31120 that many people said was good on reviews. Believe it or not the price was $18.00. It is still in the box, will try it later today. Just hope it is not a lemon that was returned. The box was still in good shape with what looked like original taping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here