Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with wood floors

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 9:19

I just bought a cute little microfiber dust mop for my new engineered wood floors and find the the dog hairs just fly right up over it. My vaccum also seems to just blow the dust around, and I am worried about the hard wheels scratching the floors. Just wondering what the rest of you do? The manufacturer says not to spray cleaners on the floor itself (just on mop) but they really don't need that kind of cleaning yet, just dusting. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with wood floors

Hi, musicteacher - I can tell you what I do.. First I sweep all debris & pet hair into a corner, then I use a hand-held vacuum to suck it up. I have a swiffer, but I agree - it didn't work that well for dry apps. (I only use it with damp cloths now, which I cut from old worn towels & reuse - I'm a real tight-wad, lol).
A good handheld vac can handle the job, plus not heavy w/wheels to scratch your pretty floor. :-) Unfortunately, finding a good one is getting to be a challenge for me - I've had 3 different brands (cordless) that worked great, until they just quit working altogether, or quit taking a charge, etc. The Kone was the last one to go. Now I'm back to the Singer 3-in-1, again, I bought it 18 years ago! Cord is a nuisance, though. (I'm open to recommendations, if anyone has one they're crazy about).
Hope that helps a little.

o
RE: Help with wood floors

I recently got a casabella all surface sweeper (old fashioned manual sweeper). It has a single brush in the middle with long, soft bristles. It picks up the dog hair from my low pile carpet, the wood and the tile. One of my dogs has short coarse black hair. The sweeper picks up the hair easily and deposits it in the receptacles. My other dog has long, soft hair which mostly gets trapped by the roller brush. So it picks up both types and does a pretty good job of it. The sweeper came with a little comb for cleaning out the brush making it easy. My only real complaint about the sweeper is that it doesn't clean edges, so I do have to go around with the small vac for that.

Look into the Hoover Portapower for a small vac. You can carry it using the shoulder strap so it doesn't roll around on the floor and blow dirt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here