Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing dust from vintage furniture

Posted by OmaPhil (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 9:06

Hello helpful people,

We inherited a Heywood-Wakefield bedroom from my MIL. The outside wood is in very good condition and I'm confident that we will be able to clean and polish that safely. However, the inner parts of the furniture (unfinished) are full of dust - many years of dust. DH thinks vacuuming will do the trick - I'm not so sure. IMO, after a period of time, dust becomes caked on dirt!

Do you have any ideas on how best to clean this?

DH is adamantly opposed to using any water. From reading the posts here, it seems that a barely damp cloth will not hurt.

Thanks in advance - I've been lurking for a while and have learned a lot.

Omaphil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing dust from vintage furniture

I've used a slightly damp cloth to remove dust like that. Just keep moving the edge you use around, you don't want to rub the dust back onto the next area. Keep the cloth clean or change cloths frequently.I've alsu used Pledge Wipes from the store. Good luck!

o
RE: Removing dust from vintage furniture

Use a brush to loosen dirt and follow with the vacuum.
Follow with a slightly damp cloth to remove all dirt residue loosened the vacuum did not get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here